Tuesday, March 30, 2010

The Old Mission Mill Field Trip

We traveled to Steve's folks on Wednesday and did a few field trips. The first field trip I don't have any pictures of because it was just too crazy with all the kids. We took them to the capitol of Oregon. It was beautiful, big and had lots of information. We were all enthralled with the golden pioneer on top of the dome. The circle of our state flags was fascinating, too. I talked to them a little about the government, but pretty much they were too excited to listen much.

The second field trip was at the Old Mission Mill in Salem. The first part was a place were the kids could play old-fashioned games. They had a blast!
These were really fun blocks that the little ones loved them. Andrew took one home though, so I made him give it back and apologize to the lady.
Three-legged races were a hit with the older ones!
And of course the sack races!

After the races we went on the tour and learned all about how to turn sheep's wool into woolen blankets and clothes back in the old days. What a fascinating process!
Posted by Picasa

11 comments:

His bondservant said...

Stacie,

How fun! This is one of the things I enjoy most about homeschooling...the freedom to choose educational, as well as fun, field trips for the family. The kids looked like they had a great time! I am sure they will look back years later and be thankful for a Mom that cared for them in this way!

Blessings,
Jackie

Amy said...

This looks great. I would have loved this myself.

That is why I enjoy re-enacting and history so much. I feel as though I belong. I know that sounds strange. I should have been born in the 1800's.

Have a blessed Easter Week.

Kimberly said...

I've been to both those places! Salem is only about 5 hrs south of us. I wondered if the Old Mission Mill was still around- man, we need to take our children on a regional vacation! That wooden toy is called "Jacob's Ladder" I've seen instructions in craft books that we've borrowed from the library, but I would imagine that it would be easy to find some online these days.

Angela said...

I'm joining you in prayer for those pictures and praising God for this time of memories being stored and placed on the wall...displaying His power and glory in a family's life! ((hugs))

Camille said...

Fun fun fun!! I *love* those types of experiences for the kids ~ they are fun for Mum too! I have "old fashioned" in my heart I think ~ would have done quite well in the "Little House" time period...at least I think I would! Maybe without the trials and lack of running water and long winters and putting up ALL my own food and well...the good days do appeal to me! Maybe you could call me a fair weather pioneer! :)

Have a great night!
Love,
Camille

mommyx12 said...

Just found your blog from another I was reading. You have a lovely family. Can't wait to read more.

Naomi said...

Wow your kids are getting so big Stacie, it looks like you all had a lot of fun on the Field Trip.

RaD said...

I love when we all go out somewhere as a family. Even when you think the kids aren't listening because they are too excited, oftentimes they catch onto more than you would think they do.

If no one has offered to do a button for you I can give it a try, but I'm kind of a novice, so if someone else has offered then that's okay.

And I like not have "tv" at our house too. It makes monitoring what the kids watch so much easier and when a show is over it's over with nothing else to come on afterwards.

Tina said...

Looks like a fun fieldtrip!

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

Ruth, I would love it if you would make me a button! Can you do something firefighterish or a vintage mother? Thank you soooo much!!!!

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

Sounds like fun! We'll have to go sometime.

Related Posts with Thumbnails