Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Stubborn Mother


Stubborn Mother

Dear Mothers,

Yesterday, my nine-month old baby decided she didn’t want something, and she arched her back and became as stiff as a board. I almost dropped her! After nursing her, holding her, distracting her with toys, and trying to snuggle with her, I finally gave up and put Lily down in her playpen. I told her, “If you don’t want me, then you’re going to have to be by yourself until you do.”

Afterwards, I was pondering how amazing it was that even a small baby like that could be so stubborn. What makes them start arching their back? The Lord spoke quietly to my heart. He said, “Stacie, that is exactly how you sometimes act when I ask you to do something. Instead of being obedient, you arch your back and refuse to comply.” I asked God, when I had done that very thing. He brought to mind a book I have been trying to get through called “The Love Dare”. It is a wonderful book and I highly recommend it to anyone who would like to learn to love his or her spouse with a deeper, Godly love. I had come to a particular chapter and as I read the dare, I could feel my back arching, and I wanted to scream and throw the book across the room! It shook me up so bad, that I started praying and sought Godly counsel before I could continue on with the book. The Lord is good, and I was able to work through this particular issue in my heart that needed to apparently be dealt with.

When we refuse to deal with the bad-attitudes and “issues” in our lives, sometimes God has to put us in “the playpen”. He will let us be stubborn, but He will not force His Will on us. He takes a step back and essentially says, “OK, have it your way. When you are done with your stubborn fit, I’m here ready to pick you back up.” Don’t you love God and His loving Arms? I love the times when I’m finished in the playpen and I run back into the safety net of my Father.

What issues are you “arching your back” too? Are you willing to face them or are you already in the “play pen” so-to-speak? I want to challenge you to face some of these issues head on. It brings peace and joy back to your life. Your relationship with God is to be prized above all things.
Don’t sacrifice it on the alter of stubbornness.

From One Mom To Another,

14 comments:

Kimberly said...

Excellent post and analogy- It is such a blessing to have a baby in our family- her weekly visits have reminded me of how we are all born with that sinful nature and that Godliness is taught. I think of the number of times we tell her "no-no" and how many times she will continue the attempt to get/do what she wants despite the firm tone and touch. Like you, I've seen the "baby" in myself, those moments are definitely, oh wow, moments for me. Great post.

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

As your editor, I love being the first one to see what you've written. This is a good one and I'm glad I had a chance to read it again. I know this will speak to many of us! Love you, Sis. Have an awesome day.

Mich said...

Oh how stubborn I can be...

I liked this post.

Cat said...

With the boys I homeschool we are studying the book called Do Hard Things. This is one of those. It is relevant always! Good writing, Stacie and great analogy!

Suburban Simplicity said...

Thank you for this. I can be very stubborn but I guess I forget to look how stubborn I'm being when it comes to what God is asking from me.

And I agree with everyone about the great analogy.

Sandy

La Familia Garcia said...

Well since you asked, It's hard to take the road of humility. In our marriage, with our kids, or even with our own brother.

Farmgirl Cyn said...

Love your word pictures...excellent topic!

The Park family said...

I had a book a couple years ago that had a similar effect on me. It is called "Healed and Set Free" by Tammy Brown. It deals with your past hurts, brings them into the light and shows in God's word that sometimes when we think we are past them, they rear their ugly head. How we become in bondage to 'forgetting' while really we have just hid it like a poison deep within the heart that God wants to make NEW! If we hide those things the Lord can't help us heal. I have a past with sexual abuse, but this book deals with past abortions, divorce and pretty much any other event that can scar a person. The lady who wrote it has an amazing testimony! It was very hard to bring these things back to light and give them up while satan was whispering lies into my ears. It took me 2 years to get through it but I can genuinely say that the Lord has truely HEALED and set me free from my past! It is so worth it to relinquish control to the Lord and obey! God is so faithful to meet us in our brokenness and bring restoration where we never thought possible! Keep on going Stacy!
Hugs,

Theresa

RaD said...

Oh that was a good one!

Connie said...

Oh boy, we sure do behave like humans!

J said...

Wow, this post hit home! I will spare you the list of offenses, etc. suffice it to say, I've arched my back on something over the last few weeks. God has gently and lovingly brought restoration...thank you for sharing!

Michelle (She Looketh Well) said...

This is so good Stacie! Very convicting. Thank you. I know for me right now it is resting and trusting where God has me. I tend to 'buck' so badly, thank you for th visual, how it must grieve my Father's heart.

Chris in FL said...

ahhhhh Love it!!! What a great comparison. I know we can learn so much about God's love to us and for us and how He is teaching us through our very own children. I love the Lord so much and His arms are so warm and snuggly. I know there are so many times when I want to arch my back....whoaaaaaa!!!

Thanks for sharing and thanks for being there for me when I write those posts that can be "somewhat" controversial....LOL

chris

Tina said...

Great illustration. I'm sure that the playpen illustration will stick with me for quite a while. :)Thank you!
In His love,
Tina

Related Posts with Thumbnails