Thursday, February 18, 2010

Pastor Steve Update



If you are new on my blog, you may not know that our Pastor has been battling colon cancer for the past year and a half. It has been a very difficult road. I just recieved this update by his wife on Facebook so I am copying it here so that you can be praying for him.


Greetings to all the friends of Steve Anable,


Thank you all for your continued love and support of Steve as we walk by faith on our journey through the land of colon cancer. At the last update we were pleased to write that his CEA (cancer marker) had dropped significantly from 68 down to 41 after the first round, and then it came down to 38 after two rounds of this new chemo regimen. He became quite ill during round two, but we think it was most likely a virus and not the chemo meds. He completed round 3 with flying colors. His energy level was great, he had no nausea, vomiting or diarrhea, and felt so well that we were going to go skiing on his 54th birthday (yesterday) but the weather did not cooperate.


We went to chemo today for round #4 and he tolerated that quite well. We were home about an hour when we received a phone call from his oncologist who called to tell us Steve's CEA had not gone down as expected. His CEA actually had a significant increase, a nearly 50% increase, from 38 to almost 57, which was quite a disappointing blow considering how well he had been feeling the past few weeks.


This increase means that his tumors are not responding to this current chemo regimen and are actively growing in spite of the medications. Therefore, they will be changing his treatment regimen once again. This new regimen will begin this coming Monday, February 22 at 9:00 a.m. It will be quite similar to his first chemo treatments, in that he will have 3-4 IV infusions and then go home with a "chemo pump" for 46 hours. This particular course of treatments has the potential for being quite intense, more so that the first course of treatments. He could very well lose his hair, and could feel extreme fatigue, nausea, diarrhea, etc. He is not looking forward to these new treatments at all, but yet does not want to give-up either.


Please pray that Steve's spirit will be strong as we face this new round of treatments, and please pray that the side-effects will be minimal. Pray that I will not succumb to the fears that seem to rage in my mind; pray that the PEACE the passes ALL UNDERSTANDING will be upon our family.


We KNOW that God is in control, and we KNOW that HE answers prayers.....Steve is LIVING PROOF that God's hand has been upon him this past year, and will continue to be with him because HE himself said, " I WILL NEVER LEAVE YOU NOR FORSAKE YOU" and we are standing on that promise!!!!


Walking by faith.....sometimes in baby-steps.....but still walking!


Marilyn, for Steve and the family


13 comments:

Amy said...

I put your pastor on my list. My prayers are with him.

Please pray for Tara, her little boy is having seizures and they don't know why. His name is Cory.

Have a blessed day.

Tina said...

I'll be praying.
In His love,
Tina

Connie said...

My heart goes out to him. Hard thing to go through. Will be praying.

Life Adapted said...

Hi Stacie, I finally had some time to read your blog. It's very sweet and I agree, we are similar in our attitude. I will be praying for your pastor - no matter what, God is still in the Throne and that's hope we cling to.

Be blessed!

Amy@theredheaddiaries.blogspot.com said...

He sounds like such a strong man. I will be praying for him and his family along with your church family. Thanks for keeping us updated.

Anonymous said...

Will be praying for your Pastor.

We just went through the same thing with our Pastor. He was given 3 months to live by doctors, but surpassed that by almost 5 years. His work was done and now he lives with Jesus!

Sarah said...

Thank you for the update Stacie...I will pray for your Pastor and his family. I am certain that the Lord will carry their family through this even though the journey is and will be hard. Praise Him who grants us life eternal.

Mich said...

prayers and blessings...

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

Thank you everyone! It is a painful process. We love Pastor Steve very much, we hurt when he hurts.

christy rose said...

I will be praying for him Stacie!

Cat said...

I've been thinking about your pastor and wondering about him, so I thank you for this update. Prayers for strength and peace come from me for him and his family.

Suburban Simplicity said...

I am keeping him in my prayers. I know all too well the cancer journey and am thankful every day I did not have to go through chemo. Therefore, I'm praying that your pastor will respond to the chemo and will put that part of the cancer journey behind him.

God Bless

Sandy

RaD said...

Praying!

Related Posts with Thumbnails