Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Can You Freely Give?



My Bible study "Conversation Peace" by Mary Kassian, had a very convicting and pointed message to my heart this afternoon. I wanted to share it with you. Perhaps you have struggled with "freely giving" to your husband, children, family and friends.


"If we focus on the resources of God, we realize we have an abundance to give. On the other hand, if we focus on what we should be getting from others, we become "stingy" and reluctant to give.


This principle extends to all areas of our lives, including our speech. Case in point...


We become increasingly patient the more we realize how patient God is with us.

We love more when we realize how much God loves us.

Our capacity to forgive increases as we become aware of how much God forgives us.

We are gracious because we have been the recipients of so much grace .

We are generous because of God's generosity.

We are kind because God is kind to us.

We are merciful because we receive mercy.

"Our ability to give good to others springs from the abundance of good we receive from God.

When David was focused on what he should have been receiving from the people who bothered him-respect and kindness, for example-he had nothing good to say. Yet when he became focused on his relationship to God and kept his focus there, he found himself filled with "a new song" and began to say good things to his adversaries.

I am learning some really good stuff here. The hard part is applying it to my life and making this kind of lasting change a reality. Only the Lord can do that! I will continue to pray for it!

Thanks for letting me share.

11 comments:

His bondservant said...

Wow Stacie, what a powerful and needful message. Thank you for reminding us where our true focus ought to be. It is so true, when He is first, we are equipped for every good work!

Jackie

Angela said...

Ok,,,ya,,,alright...SIGH.

OH girl...the Lord KNEW I needed this. WOW...one of those days...and this IS exactly what my spirit needed. ((Hugs))) Thank you SO much for sharing this. I praise God for His leading me here tonight. I had been praying about some situations and how to deal with them..well He has answered..through your post.

Mich said...

great post...encouraging words

THANKS!!!

Camille said...

Oh ~ it is so true...we have been forgiven for SO much! God's grace is always there for us to do exactly what we are called to do. We will give more when we expect less...thanks for sharing this Stacie...it is a blessing to be exhorted in these ways.

With Love,
Camille

RaD said...

It does that to me too, but I have learned that if you go to edit html (at the top right when you are editing your post) and then hit enter where you want your space it usually works. I don't understand why it just won't leave it where you put the spaces, but it gets very frustrating!

kathy said...

Hi Stacie,
I found your blog from the Above Rubies magazine. We have children around the same age so I thought I would have a look how other mum's do it.I don't really know other families with lots of children. Your blog has been really encouraging. Thx

OurLilFullFam said...

So good. It is always good to see the standard (God) to remind us of what to strive for!!

Stephanie

Cat said...

Great reminders, thank you for taking the time to share with us. I'm working on those very things in my 'intentional living' (new plan for my life).

Parsley said...

To be perfectly honest, which I always try to be, I DO have issues with giving sometimes. I can give freely to my family but when I give to strangers I feel something eating at me.

I know God is teaching me how to give as recently we gave to Haiti relief and I didn't feel anything negative at all. It is a growing process.

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

Parsley, that is great that God is helping you in this area! Baby steps!

Connie said...

Some of it may be hard to apply, but we keep learning and keep trying! Good job.

Related Posts with Thumbnails