Thursday, January 14, 2010

Solving the Interrupting Problem

I have found that when I am homeschooling three children, they all seem to need me at once. Then they get frustrated because I'm not answering THEIR question when they want me to. They have a nasty habit of interrupting and I just plain got tired of it. So, the other day, I developed this simple method. I made four pipe cleaner "balloons" and put them in them in the middle of table. I went by the color of the rainbows. Red (1), yellow (2), green (3), and blue (4). The idea is to grab them in order. First kid has a question, take the red and hold it up. Now, the second kid has a question right after that, they take the yellow, and then the third takes the next color. Now Mom knows what order to help and they realize that they are going to get help so they don't get so frustrated.

This has revolutionized our homeschool! We are all getting along better and they are learning that interrupting is not OK. When they are done with their question they put their "balloon" back into the pile for the next person.
Posted by Picasa

14 comments:

I am blessed! said...

I think that's a great idea! One thing that has helped me is one kid reads while the other does math, so now I only have 2 kids doing math at one time. When all three did math at the same time I literally could not sit down during that hour!

Connie said...

This is such a wonderful idea! It could work in several settings that deal with children.

Parsley said...

Great idea. I only have one student but if anyone else mentions this problem, I'll share your solution.

Camille said...

Yup...we are a family of interrupters...and it is not good. We are working on this too...how do you think that would work at the dinner table?? LOL!

Blessings,
Camille

Camille said...

Yup...we are a family of interrupters...and it is not good. We are working on this too...how do you think that would work at the dinner table?? LOL!

Blessings,
Camille

Camille said...

oops...it printed twice! seems i even interrupted myself! LOL

Kimberly said...

That's a great idea! Teaching about interrupting is teaching patience and non instance gratification, good for you! Thanks for the comments on my dilemma, it is still certainly a matter of prayer.

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

You're awesome! So glad God gave you this answer to a very annoying problem. When Hailey is old enough to homeschool, too, I'll definitely be using this system. Good job, Stacie! I bet this will really help others, tool

wife.mom.nurse said...

A seriously great idea!

Cat said...

That's a great idea Stacie. Having taught multiple grades for many years in the public setting I always had different groups working on different subjects. Now with only 3 students and two grades I have one doing a completely independent work while the other 'gets' me. Then we switch. Giving good instructions at the beginning for the one who is working independently is always a plus.

Jennifer @ Getting Down With Jesus said...

What a cool idea. I don't homeschool, but we do a lot of other "schooling" here in the home, and this technique sounds perfect.

Suburban Simplicity said...

What a great idea. I'm not homeschooling yet, but I'm writing it down to use it when I do.

Chris in FL said...

That is a wonderful idea. I am going to consider using it because guess what?... I have the same problem. LOL

The Brown Family said...

Neat idea! I wonder how well it would work with littles? hmmm - I know those balloons wouldn't stay balloons for long! LOL But maybe, just maybe it will work - definately worth a try! Thanks for the great idea - and the encouragment!

Related Posts with Thumbnails