Monday, January 4, 2010

Look to the Interests of Others-Part 1



"Do not merely look out for your own personal interests, but also for the interests of others.-Philippians 2:4

This verse is very convicting to me. How many times a day do I have my own interests in mind? I read an excerpt out of the book called, "Love Dare" that had some profound points to it. I wanted to share them with you.

"Defending your rights and opinions is a foundational part of your nature and make-up. It's detrimental, though, inside a marriage relationship, and it steals away time and productivity. It can also cause great frustrations for both of you.

Granted, being stubborn is not always bad. Some things are worth standing up for and protecting. Our priorities, morals, and obedience to God should be guarded with great effort. But too often we debate over piddling things, like the color of wall paint or the choice of restaurants.

Other times, of course, the stakes are much higher. One of you would like more children; the other doesn't. One of you want to vacation with your extended family; the other doesn't. One of you prefers home-schooling your kids; the other doesn't. One of you thinks it's time for marriage counseling or to get more involved in a church, while the other doesn't.

These things keep cropping up everyday, never seeming to really go away. Your heels keep digging in! It's like driving with the parking brake on.

There is a word that is opposite of stubbornness. It is called, "willingness". It's an attitude and spirit of cooperation that should permeate our conversations. Think of how you can "gracefully bend".

All it takes for your present arguments to continue is for both of you to stay entrenched and unbending. But the very moment one of you says, "I'm willing to go your way on this," the arguments will be over. And though the follow-through may cost you some pride and discomfort, you have made a loving, lasting investment in your marriage."

More later...

5 comments:

christy rose said...

OOOOH! Great post!

...they call me mommy... said...

Wonderful post! OUCH! Convicting! I just got my dh that book and Fireproof for Christmas! Can't wait to read it together! :)

Many blessings!

The Park family said...

I remember one time when hubby and I were driving with the parking brake on and were seeking couseling at our church. One thing that pastor pointed out was asking us "In light of the fact that you are both sinners fighting for your own way, please tell me what you DESERVE as a result of your sin?" We both knew that the penalty for sin is death. At which point he said that anything above our true penalty of death, is a gift from God and therefore we had no right to fight for what we deserved! Chaged my whole perspective over fighting about trivial things! Great post!

Cat said...

In light of what I'm working on this week, I appreciate this advice today more than you know. Thank you. I'm working on the Dare too...kink of stuck, I think. But I will strive forward for the prize that awaits me.

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

Love it! I got the book for Christmas, too. I really need to start it soon.

Related Posts with Thumbnails