Sunday, December 13, 2009

Our Waiting Trees and Nutcrackers

When Josh was a baby, my Mom's Morning Out group made these Waiting Trees for Christmas. The whole idea is to read a Bible story, pray, and then let the children put up an ornament pertaining to the story. This was a huge amount of work and I'm not really into crafts, but I managed to finish mine. This has turned out to be the highlight of the year! We also have added one more thing to help get the story to stick even more. I have all the "Great Adventures of The Bible" VHS'. They are wonderful and it makes the story come to life for them.
Three years back, they decided to do the same craft. I was thrilled, because my sister had children now and had always said how much she had wanted one. Sooooo, instead of making just one for her, I made two! I wanted an extra one because I knew with lots of children, they could put the ornaments up in pairs. It wouldn't take so long for them for it to be their turn. Also, I will have two they can fight over when I'm dead and gone! LOL! I will try to remember to post a picture when all the ornaments are on there after the 25th.
Here is the Nutcracker collection that the kids are very excited about. This is their collection and it is starting to take up quite a bit of space in the shed now. They are really into the Revolutionary war right now, so they have all the reddish ones on one side and all the blueish nutcrackers on the other. It's kind of cute. I had know idea how many different kinds of nutcrackers there were. My favorites are the three firefighter ones.
And just two of the many, many firefighter Christmas ornaments that we have on our tree. I'll post pictures of our tree next...
Posted by Picasa

12 comments:

Parsley said...

There were some cute Ffighter ornaments at Hobby Lobby. I couldn't decide which to get!

Mrs. Lukie said...

I love the idea of the Waiting Tree!

We have a firefighter Nutcracker, too :)

Amy said...

I remember that craft...in fact, I still have all the instructions and felt in a ziploc bag....for some reason I never got to do mine. Maybe that was the year I moved? Not sure. But I should have the kids finish it! Off to see if I can find it all!

Grandma Becky said...

Nutcrackers are awesome. I started a collection for our son. I've got some fun photos of them in the snow last year, with plastic under them and getting boxed up this year for them to move to his apartment with his family. Memories! Love the firefighter ornaments!!! Take care!!

Camille said...

Dear Stacie ~

It's good to see the "waiting tree"...Jackie was talking about it on my blog a few days ago. It's beautiful! How wonderful to instill in the children the REAL reason we celebrate! Thanks for sharing your pictures!

Those nutcrackers are great...how funny that the kids put them up in "armies"!! :)

Have a blessed Lord's Day!
Love,
Camille

P.S. Home from church with a sick little girl this morning...Howie took the boys. Hopefully I can go tonight.

Jessica said...

I just LOVE all your holiday decor! And I love the idea of the waiting tree....any advice you can share on how we can make one of those + pieces? So cool! Can't wait to see more pics of your tree!

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

Jessica,

I don't know where we got the pattern. I looked on the Internet and couldn't find anything even remotely close. I'm sorry!

Amy, do you know where you got yours from?

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

I'm home from church with a sick Jacob. It was nice though. My stepmom came and got the four older ones. I was able to rest and then do my Bible study while Jacob watched a movie.

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

So it's called a Waiting Tree. I've been calling it an Advent Tree. I'll have to change my terminology. I can't thank you enough for making it for me. Someday when kid are bigger, we'll have to take a weekend and make one for each child that they can take with them when they leave the house. We could do that and jewelry trees. I think we could make a pattern off one you already made.

Cracks me up about the boys seperating the blue and red nutcrackers into armies. How cute!

Donna B said...

I love the idea of the Waiting Tree. It sounds very much like the Jesse Tree that we do around here.

Would you be able to post the instructions for it so we can make one for next year?

Love those firefighter ornaments!

J said...

I laughed so hard when I read about the nutcrackers...your kids are so cool! :)

christy rose said...

I love the idea of the waiting tree too. How fun!! And your nutcracker collection? Wow!

Related Posts with Thumbnails