Monday, December 14, 2009

Getting the Tree

We got our tree about nightfall last Monday night. It was FREEEZING! We all had the shivers as picked out a tree in 12 degree weather.
Josh, for the first time, was able to spare Steve the task of getting down on the ground and sawing the tree down. Steve was thrilled! Josh did a great job as our professional lumberjack!
Steve went to go work out, so I enlisted the boys to bring in the tree and help set it up in it's stand. First time, I've ever done that one! It was very knotty and I had to go the recip saw and do some cutting. I felt like a lumberjack myself, by the time I was through. Lily kept crawling into the saw dusty mess and I was yelling at the kids to keep her back over the noise! Somehow we made it through!
Here is Jacob putting the "finishing touches" on the tree. Notice there are no ornaments on the bottom half of the tree? So far, Lily has surprised us by being the baby that is least interested in the tree. She could care less that it is there and it's just simply wonderful!
Posted by Picasa

9 comments:

RaD said...

Sounds like ya'll had a grand adventure!

Cat said...

Wow, it was truly a family affair. I'm so glad your boys are stepping up into the practice of being a good and helpful man of the house! I'll bet the tree is prickly at the bottom so maybe that's why Lily isn't interested...and there is nothing exciting there either. I recall putting our tree in the playpen one year to keep the small ones out of it. That was fun!

Rachel and Family said...

Yay Josh!

Another reason we love you...
you get a real tree!

I liked seeing your other decorations too, love the nutcrackers! What a good idea to have two Jesse Trees! You're right- it does take a while to wait your turn in a big family. See how darn smart you are to get a second one!

Connie said...

What fun. I can smell the wonderful scent from here!

Kimberly said...

Quite a different experience than assembling from the box!!! I really like your waiting tree, is it possible to share the instructions??? Wow you do have alot of nutcrackers, lucky you have that nice ledge to display them!

J said...

WOW! Your tree looks great! That's so cool that y'all got to go pick it out and cut it down. :) I love the ornaments the kids made!

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

I wonder how long Lily's disinterest will last. Hopefully, it'll stay that way!

Great job on the tree! It must be so nice having help from the older boys.

Pretty tree, too!

La Familia Garcia said...

Great tree picture! It looks like lots of hard work, but it looks like fun too! hard work pays off!

christy rose said...

Isn't it wonderful that your boys are getting big enough to help like that. Well kinda! You love to see them grow up but then again, it is a little sad. But it does make you proud. Looks like you all had fun making that Christmas memory. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails