Monday, December 21, 2009

Christmas Musings



Things have slowed down and I have decided that we will take a full week off of school, so that we can have a relaxing Christmas together as a family. This gives me more time to do some much needed housecleaning before our guests start arriving on Christmas Eve.


My dad and stepmom are going to take Andrew, Jacob and Jessica this evening, which means we get to have some "big kid" time! Tomorrow, Dad and Diana are going to take the Josh and Marcus, so we'll have "little kid" time the next day. I think I might get out my stamps and have the little ones make Christmas thank you cards.


I'm going to start my prep work on my Christmas menu.


Breakfast: Maple French Toast Bake (if you click on this link, scroll down to the end of the post for the recipe)

Bacon Wrapped Little Smokies

Egg Nog


Lunch/Dinner: Glazed Ham

Prime Rib

Artichoke Dip

Devilled Eggs

Green Salad

Potatoes Romanoff (Diana will make her version)
Sweet potatoes

Sparkling Apple Cider

Pumpkin Pie


Of course, we have to make cookies for Santa and a birthday cake for Jesus. The little ones will love helping me this week! I'm almost done with my shopping, I just need to get Steve a stocking stuffer. I think today, I'll run to the library and get some good Christmas movies. I have a Netflix movie coming. We are all looking forward to watching "The Nativity Story" again. I can't wait to read more, "Unafraid" by Francine Rivers, to the children. I am finding it more and more difficult to have reading time now that there is such a wide variety of ages. When they are not interested, they get loud and I end up disciplining more than I am reading.


I was able to go to church yesterday, thanks to my mom and stepdad, who volunteered to stay home with Lily Pie. She is at the tail end of a cold. It was wonderful to listen to Pastor Steve. Each time he preaches, I know that I am witnessing a miracle. He has stage 4 colon cancer. He wasn't expecting to make it to Thanksgiving, so each time I hear him preach, I just savor it, knowing it will not always be like this.


Yesterday, I savored being in the Word. I'm in the last week of my "A Heart Like His: A Study of David" by Beth Moore. It is my second time through this study and I have gleaned so much again from going through it. I need to start praying about what study God wants me to do next. I do enjoy being in the Word as much as I can. I don't know what I would do without God. I think I would be twitching! My God gives me strength for each new day. I have been crying out for wisdom on how to parent each child individually and He is supplying all my needs! It has been amazing to watch. I am falling more in love with my husband and my children each day and I ask God to show me how to love them like He loves them.


I pray that you would all have a MELLOW, UNRUSHED, CALM, and BLESSED week with your family!

10 comments:

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

I'm going to take the week off from homeschooling, too. Thanks to your inspiration!

So glad you get to have some time with the different age groups.

Your Christmas menu sounds divine.

Praise God Pastor Steve is getting another Christmas with his family. What a blessing to hear him preach. Such a sad situation, but it is awesome to see God glorified.

Got our VOM gift letter last week. Thank you for giving a Vietnam pack in our name to a martyer's child. I pray it will make a huge impact! So glad we did that this year. Hope we can make it a tradition.

Love you, Stace! Can't wait to see you all next week.

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

Have I told you lately what an awesome mom and wife you are? Not to mention the best sister on the planet!

Connie said...

Looks like a yummy eating day is in the making!

We are so lucky to still be able to celebrate the birth of Christ. Many countries no longer remember anything about Christ or Christmas.

Continue to enjoy this special time.

Cat said...

You are also the best friend in thw whole wide world! Your menu sounds divine, Lovella is cooking our (ham, chicken, green beans, mashed potatoes and gravy with passion fruit cheesecake. We'll make peppermint ice cream to go on pound cake for dessert on Christmas Eve. I working my way backwards from dessert since I'm in charge of Eve's dinner. I'm taking it easy too, and I'm doing well.

Donna B said...

The Christmas Menu sounds wonderful. With the snow her most things have slowed way down and we are enjoying the slower pace. FYI The link to the French Toast Bake didn't work for me.

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

Donna, thank you for letting me know. I fixed the link!

Farmgirl Cyn said...

When I was homeschooling we always took the same days off as the public school kids in the neighborhood. Fun for them and fun for me!
You sound like you have everything in order and just have to tie up some loose ends! Blessings to you and your darling husband and children this Christmas!

Cindy

Regina @VestPocketFamilyFarm said...

Sounds like a good Christmas week. I'm trying to keep the stress down too.

Are you going to do the Christmas Eve service? I'll be playing the flute there with Marilyn Anable.

OurLilFullFam said...

I hope Lily feels better soon. You menu sounds delicious!!

I hope you have a great Christmas as well!!

We are crafting and then cleaning today.

Stephanie

Camille said...

May the Lord bless you ~ Merry CHRISTmas!!

Love,
Camille

Related Posts with Thumbnails