Tuesday, December 15, 2009

The Best Gifts


The Best Gifts
(written 2007)

Dear Mothers,

Well, it was Christmas morning and I woke up waiting in anticipation of small feet pittering and pattering up to me, accompanied by loud whispers, “Is it time to wake up yet?” As I was lying there, I started praying. God reminded me of a conversation that I had with Marcus, my seven-year-old. Marcus was telling me how he felt Christmas was all about Jesus, not gifts. I was thankful that he knew this (he oughta’, I’ve drilled it into his head enough times”, but I felt the Spirit say, “That’s not enough. Stacie, explain to him about what a Gift-Giver I am.”

I explained to Marcus, that yes, Christmas is all about Jesus, but I felt like he had the wrong impression about gifts. Like somehow they were bad. The gifts themselves aren’t bad. Being obsessed about receiving them is. I explained to him that his dad and I love to be able to give our children gifts. It makes us feel so good to be able to give our children something they have desired or maybe haven’t even asked for, but we know they could use it or that it would bless them. God is the same way!

Now there is a catch to this. I’ve known parents to stand in line for hours, fighting the masses to get their children a special video game, doll, or whatever it might be. Before you do something like this, ask yourself, “Is this gift going to benefit my child?” “Will it hinder them or help them?” “Will this gift draw my child closer to God or away from Him”? It says in the Bible that God loves to give good gifts to His children. That may not mean that we get the new car or new kitchen appliance we’ve been dreaming about. He will give us gifts that ONLY benefit us. As parents, we need to do the same to our children. But have you noticed, God gives us gifts that we haven’t even asked for? He delights to satisfy us with every good thing! How I love to do this to my children as well.

As I’m writing this, a funny thing happened. Two of the children got up. I told Andrew, my two-year-old, that he needed to go plug in the tree. As he walked into the living room (half-asleep, I might add) he looked under the tree and exclaimed in a disgusted voice, “Presents!” He really looked mad that they were there blocking his way to plugging in that Christmas tree. O.K., I don’t think that has ever happened in this family before!

May God bless you this coming year! I encourage you to only give the “best” gifts to your children. Remember, give them things that have eternal value. Your love, your legacy of faith in Jesus, and give them your example of how to be a godly Christian, it will speak volumes! Enjoy being a gift-giver!

From One Mom to Another,

11 comments:

hip chick said...

Such a wonderful post. We often forget what is really important at this time of year. One of the things that has been nice about this horrible economy is that folks have had to concentrate on other aspects of Christmas and not just the presents.
If one more person asks me if I've gotten all my shopping done...or if I'm ready for Christmas..which is implying if I've spent enough money...

Cat said...

You are using your God-given gift for writing to bless us, Stacie. Thank you!

Connie said...

I guess when people ask us if we are ready for Christmas, we can say that the best is yet to come - soon we gather the family, sing carols and ready the Christmas story!

J said...

YOU ARE PRECIOUS!!! Thank you for this sweet reminder!

christy rose said...

What a sweet post! Giving gifts that have eternal value is the best kind of gift giving! They keep being regifted into other people's lives as well. Over and over again. :)

Rachel and Family said...

Congratulations on the Tae Kwon Do!!

I wouldn't want to meet them in a dark alley.

candy said...

What a good encourager you are. I love this word. I am guilty of way over spending for everybody but this year even though I have already done it God is working on my heart about my Grandkids and Christmas. I don't minister/teach enough,by example or by the word. Thank you Stacie for reminding me too. I love you.

Camille said...

I totally agree Stacie ~ what a blessing to know the Lord! He does give wonderful gifts...and what we need...good food for thought. Thanks for sharing.

May you have a lovely Christmas!
In Him,
Camille

OurLilFullFam said...

Stacie,

What a great post to remind us of the ultimate gift giver!!!

Stephanie

Jenn @ A Country Girl's Ramblings said...

Great post! I really enjoyed your insight about Christmas being about God and His giving to us. Thanks for sharing this with us.

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

Stacie,
I remember when you wrote this devotion two years ago. It is such a good one and I love the way that it continues to minister to us.

I can just hear Andrew that morning!

Related Posts with Thumbnails