Thursday, December 24, 2009

Babies and Christmas


I simply love having a baby during Christmas! I've had six Christmases with six different babies. It has been a joy to put myself in Mary's skin and try to get inside her head.

When I look at my baby while she is nursing, I feel connected to a woman that lived 2,000 years ago. To know that she also felt the same tug as her Savior nursed. I wonder if she really thought of Him as being her Savior, or that he was just the cutest little baby ever!

Surely, the ordinariness of the whole situation must have been confusing. Shepherds, animals, and dung must have caked the floor of the cave/stable. Not exactly what she probably had in mind when she was told that she was to give birth to the King of Kings.

Baby Jesus was like any other baby, He pooped, peed, hiccuped and cried when He was hungry. As He grew older, He probably laughed like other 10 month olds as His parents played peek-a-boo with him. He was so much like other babies, but as He grew it must have been painfully evident that this child was different and that He actually OBEYED His parents in everything.

It must have been hard to not be prideful of an "always obedient" child! As the women at the well complained about the "terrible two's", Mary would have had nothing to say. If you think Satan did not scream in her head, "Look, it's because of your mothering He is the way He is," you are mistaken. I know how the enemy tempts me when I get even one compliment on my children's behavior. I believe this was probably one of Mary's greatest temptations that she had to fight. Satan knew she would obey outwardly, so he probably played severe mind games with her, increasing her doubt, making her question Jesus' role as the Messiah.

Was she not also waiting for the Messiah, who would throw off the chains of Rome? Was she not expecting Jesus to be a Warrior-King? As every year went by , did she not ask herself at Passover, "Why does He not proclaim Himself as the Messiah?"

She would have been proven right, her reputation would have been restored and she would be made known as the "Mother to the King of Kings" a lot sooner than she was.

I cannot imagine facing the temptations that woman faced. A humble, pheasant girl, who loved God fiercely and longed to do His Will. He used her because He knew she would say "yes".

He can do the same for me. What hope I have in Him! He chose me to bear these beautiful children because He knew I would say, "yes". I have doubts, fears and longings, but God will work everything out to His glory! My job is to obey and not look to far ahead and second-guess my Father.

(This is not meant to be doctrine, just things that I have meditated on and journalled.)

Have a Merry Christmas everyone! May God richly bless you.

11 comments:

wife.mom.nurse said...

Sweet post. It's been a long time since I had a baby at Christmas.

But I always adore the baby Jesus!

Merry Christmas to you and yours!

Farmgirl Cyn said...

Have a most blessed Christmas!

Cindy

Catherine Anne said...

Merry Christmas

I am blessed! said...

The kids and I just finished reading The Bronze Bow and it really helped us understand the kind of Messiah they were looking for- like you said to free Judea from Roman occupation. I think we miss it, too, sometimes. We think He saves us to heal us physically, make our lives easy and "successful". We forget that He calls His chosen ones to suffer for Him and we forget that "good" means holiness, not happiness. I love pondering these things, too.

Amy@theredheaddiaries.blogspot.com said...

I've been a bad blogger again :( Just wanted to wish you and your family a Merry Christmas!!!!! I hope it is wonderful :)

Cat said...

You always put into words (for me) what I've been pondering myself, but can't really put into words. So, thank you. It has been years and years since I had a baby at Christmas, nearly 40 years in both cases, and I'm glad we will always, here on earth, always have Baby Jesus. Merry Christmas to you too, Stacie!

The Park family said...

Neat things to ponder on! Never really even thought about the temptation to be prideful in her parenting. Interesting perspective there! Been a long time since I too have had a baby at Christmas. Maybe next Christmas we will be adopting or fostering to adopt and I will get the ability to ponder again! God Bless and have a Merry Christmas!

Katie said...

Enjoying my sweet little boy this Christmas, too. Wishing you and yours a very merry Christmas!

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

Love this post! I just watched the Nativity today with the kids and I cried so many times, just getting into Mary's skin.

Love You! Jackie

...they call me mommy... said...

Very neat perspective, Stacy! Thank you for sharing...

Hope you are enjoying Christmas morning! :)

Grandma Becky said...

Great thoughts, thanks for sharing, Stacie. Megan was only 5 days old on Christmas, 30 years ago. Don't remember my perspective back then but I like yours. We are enjoying our little granddaughter, Melody. I sang a Christmas song to her b4 we left. One of these days she'll be singing with us at Christmas eve service. A blessed day and Christmas to you and you dear family!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails