Sunday, December 20, 2009

Another Chore Method From a Busy Momma!



Every now and then I have someone send me their methods of how they manage their homes. I like to post them on my blog so that we can all benefit from their wisdom. I do not know the name of this mom, but thought some of you might be interested at how she manages getting her chores done. Here it goes....


"I have a new way of doing chores. The children think it's fun: as a matter of fact Taylor thanked me for giving her another chore yesterday. I laughed at her and told her I had to tell someone she said that. So you're the one. My house is so much cleaner now it's great! I bought a recipe box at the dollar store and I have some 4x6 cards and some yarn and a whole punch. I do school mon.-thurs. but I hate doing school with the house a mess, so I made 11 cards with chores on them. When the children wake up they have to make their bed, get dressed, feed the animals pick up the floor in their room, brush their teeth and hair, and practice piano. These are called little chores. After they've had breakfast and done their little chores they can start on their big chores. Their big chores are the 11 cards in the box. There always in a different order and they may not pick which one they want. Each has to pick the one in front. These chores are: Clean off kitchen counter, sweep up, pick up dining room (including sweeping), pick up living room, pick up upstairs sitting room, pick up upstairs school room, wipe down toilet seats (I have boys), change laundry, fold and put away laundry, empty dishwasher, and take out all trash. When they are done with their chore they have to have me check it. If it is done well they get a sticker to put under their name on a chart. They can't do more than four cards so the little ones will get a chance to pick a card. My five year old usually only gets one card done but she does a good job. My three year old always tags along with my seven year old and I give them both a sticker for a job well done. I don't know how they teamed up together it just happened to work out that way and they work great together. The motivation is that at the end of the week they get ten cents per sticker under their name. It only adds up to maybe two bucks if they wanted extra chores, but it seems to motivate them enough that we get everything done in one hour. On Fridays we don't do school we clean house, so I made separate cards for Friday like dusting and vacuuming cards and so on. They get stickers for these too. Oh, by the way, the yarn is because they wear their cards around their neck while they're doing the chore, that way I know who's doing what. There is a little competition going on to see who can get all four cards, but that only makes it more of a challenge for them. My son said to me the other day, "Mom our house stays way cleaner this way". I thought it was great that he noticed. We are able to start school by 9:00."

11 comments:

Farmgirl Cyn said...

I say, do whatever works for you! Hers sounds like a very do-able system!

Cat said...

Thank you for passing this on, Stacie! I wish I still had children at home so I could implement the plan. We did something similar, but with only two kids, you don't have as much wiggle room for change-offs. Anyway, it sounds like a very do-able plan. I like it.

I am blessed! said...

My kids also have "little" chores they do each morning before school. I also use Friday afternoons for help with bigger chores after school. I bribe them and take them to Blockbuster after they finish with the big chores. That way they can have game and movie rentals for the weekend (they're not allowed to be plugged in during the week so they really look forward to this treat :)

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

It is always great to hear other's methods of discipline so we can glean!

The Park family said...

This is a great idea! I am one that LOVES finding new systems but after I set it up I am really bad at follow through! Maybe this is one I can follow through with? Thanks for sharing!

Camille said...

Great idea...thanks for posting Jackie! :)

Have a wonderful CHRISTmas as you celebrate HIS first coming! What will it be like the SECOND time?!

Blessings,
Camille

Camille said...

Oh dear me...I did it!!! I have been worried all these months that I would mix the two of you up and I did it!! So sorry...

Thanks for posting STACIE!! :)

Love,
Camille

Kimberly said...

It sounds like a great system, the cards, checking to make sure the job is completed, the stickers - right up until the paying part. We never pay for chores. The household jobs are just tasks that keep this house in order, and it takes everyone working together to accomplish that. We don't even give an allowance to the children. We divide up the change that collects and just give them each a bit of that, just because. They usually end up putting it in the offering at church!

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

I don't pay my kids to do their regular chores either. I do however have lots of jobs that are above and beyond the call of duty, if they are wanting to earn money.

Kimberly said...

Talk about a late follow up (on my part)- I never can decide what chores are above and beyond - all chores just seem like work! Here is a tip that I did when we first had the children clean the bathrooms once a week: I made a little check list and laminated it of the things that needed to be cleaned in order for the bathroom to be considered clean. Things like wipe down the counter, mop, empty the trash...

outdoor.mom said...

Great idea!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails