Sunday, November 29, 2009

Sacrificial Mothering


When I am with a group of young mothers I often hear statements such as, “I don’t have time to do anything I enjoy,” “I never get to do anything for me since I’ve become a mom,” “I want to go out with my friends and just have the day off,” “I need more sleep”, “I need my husband to help me more with the kids” or “I just need some peace and quiet!”. Hey, I’ve said them, too! The Lord revealed to me that all of these statements have one thing in common, the word “I”! Guess what? It’s not all about us!

Not about me, you say? No, it’s not about you! Being a mother is a SACRIFICE! Pregnancy alone is a huge sacrifice! You are sacrificing your body (it will never be the same again), and your comfort for nine months! After the baby is born, you are sacrificing your sleep, and then as your baby grows you begin sacrificing your time and your energy in the way of teaching, training, and disciplining your child.

All of this takes an enormous amount of energy, self-discipline, and strength from God. But is it worth it? You bet it is! What does the Bible say about it? “Whoever loses their life with find it”. Being a servant isn’t always glorifying is it? You don’t get many kudos! Most husbands who come home from work aren’t going to notice that the laundry is done, the dishes are washed and put away, the kids are scrubbed clean and the floor doesn’t have cheerios spread all over it! They just want a nice hot meal, and soon! They aren’t going to be giving you praise for all of this. That’s why it’s so important to look to the Lord for His approval or we will be living in constant despair.

Your children are not going to be thanking you right now for your instruction and discipline. You may not see the fruit of this sacrifice until they are 20’s and are beginning their own families. Then, they might come to you, and thank you for the sacrifices made on their behalf. Being a mother means delayed gratification!

So I ask again, is it worth it? If Jesus sacrificed His body and soul for us, how else can we do less for our husband and children? When you are knee deep in laundry and your nerves are frayed from disciplining a child for the same offense for the 5th time that day, look up and remember that you are “doing this unto the Lord”. Say to Him, “This is my living sacrifice, Lord. I want to please you. Help me! Be my strength and my Rock! Help me to be the mother you want me to be. Let me see godly fruit in the lives of my children!” God will honor that prayer.

He loves you and sees everything from the dirty dishes, to the sticky floor, to the time spent reading a book to your toddler, to playing a little game of basketball with your older child, or just listening to your child telling you a story of how he caught a bee! Hang in there and remember that mothering is a good sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God!

From One Mom to Another,

19 comments:

Kimberly said...

Great to the heart post! I once was waiting for my youngest at her ballet class, this was a while ago she was about 3- this group of mothers that had their girls enrolled in the preschool in the same building were all talking about how they couldn't wait until the day that their one or two children were 18, that was it, and they would be out of the house! I was shocked! I came home and was telling my then 15 yr old oldest this story, and re-assured her that even after she turned 18 that there was still alot of parenting to do - I was boiling the whole time these ladies were talking, so ready to leap up and set them straight, but I didn't, I just prayed that I be an example.

Wylie said...

Great post! El Roi sees it all & knows how we put or childen first (after God & spouse) & serve Him by serving the families He has blessed us with. This is a reminder to those who are loving their families well, that they are storing up treasures in heaven & pleasing the Master, who has entrusted us with these precious priviledges.
Joyfully,
Wylie

I am blessed! said...

I wholeheartedly agree! This myth of "me time" drives me crazy. Every breath I have is the Lord's- none of what's mine is mine. Not my material possessions, not my health, not my gifts, none of it. It's all His. Of course I have to constantly remind myself of this, even though I know it's true. My life is to be a living sacrifice, like you said, for Him. And I pray that I will see fruits of my labor someday in the lives of my kids. I already catch glimpses of it every now and then:) It is so worth it!

RaD said...

Right on target, as usual

Jenn @ A Country Girl's Ramblings said...

I agree with every word you said. So often it is easy to get caught up in the "me" game. But, I do notice that when I have just a bit of time for myself every now and then (say every few months or so) I am able to reconnect better. I feel more relaxed and able to refocus my energies on being the best mom I can be.

Rachel and Family said...

Great post Stacie!
There is no I in Mom!

Cat said...

Frayed nerves! Yes, I recall those. What a wonderful word to the moms who are in the throes of refining themselves, Stacie. Thank you, again, for the encouragement. The "I" is in Him!

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

I agree, that I sometimes need a small break to recoup and get in the Word or just pray. I am thankful that I have a husband that lets me do this every now and then. I am a better mom because of it. I also know many moms who spend too much of their time doing their own activities and leaving their children with Dad or relatives so they can have lots and lots of me time. I think there is a balance.

Kimberly, that just breaks my heart. I can't imagine overhearing something like that.

christy rose said...

Amen! What an excellent post!

Camille said...

Dear Stacie ~ You are a treasure! May the Lord bless you as you encourage others for His glory!! What a wonderful post...thank you so much!

Have a lovely week...IN the Lord!
Blessings,
Camille

Toni Floyd said...

I agree whole heartedly with every word! Toni

J said...

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!! just thr reminder I need!

candy said...

Love this post Stacie!!! So true. I have only wanted to be a mommy,started when I was very young. So when I had children(very young) I did not even think of "me"time. I hated to leave my kids.When they moved out t was so hard. Now that I am a Geema I miss my grandkids terribly. But I guess some people need that few minutes alone. I understand. It's hard sometimes.We are all different and understood by our Lord. Thank you Lord.

OurLilFullFam said...

Stacie, how true!!

I love how you put it! There is nothing else I would rather do. I do get overwhlemed at times, but it is so worth it!

Thank you for your sweet words, I will never get over it either!!

Stephanie

OurLilFullFam said...

I don't know what happened to my other comment, but it disappeared.

Well said Stacie, how true these words are!

What would I be doing if not methering? I am sure a lot, but none of it as fullfilling or eternally meaningful as this!

Thanks for your sweet words on my blog, I will never get over it either!!

Stephanie

OurLilFullFam said...

Well, there it is, as soon as I posted the second one it showed up. Oh well...

Stephanie

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

I just love this devotion!

Brenda said...

Thank you for this wonderful post!

saleem mohd. said...

Free Social Media Marketing where Every thing will be Free, Facebook Likes, Twitter Followers, Twitter Tweets, Twitter Re-Tweets, Twitter Favorites, Google Plus Followers, StumbleUpon Followers, Youtube Views, Youtube Likes, Youtube Subsribes, Pinterest Followers, Pinterest Likes, Pinterest PinIt, Free Website Visitors.
Just Join now and Free Increase your Social Media Networks.
GetLikeFast.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails