Monday, November 2, 2009

The Pressure Is Off!



The Pressure is Off


Dear Mothers,


So many times I look at my children and wonder if they are going to truly love the Lord with all their hearts. I question if I am doing enough as a mother to instill godly values into their hearts. Am I wasting my time? Knowing that even after I have put so much energy into teaching them the ways of obedience and they can still choose to reject God and His ways, is terrifying to me.


This can not be! I read a quote by J.C. Ryle that says, “ The path of obedience is the way to blessing. We have only to do as the servants were commanded at the marriage feast in Cana, to fill the water-pots with water, and we may safely leave it to the Lord to turn that water into wine.”


My job is to fill the water-pots! It’s God’s job to turn the water into wine. How freeing! How wonderful! I don’t have to worry! What could bring more joy to this mother’s heart?


We do get tired from time to time. We get bone-weary and discouraged when we pour our lives into our children and there seems to be a fruitless season. Despite this, God wants me to continually teach my children who are struggling with bad attitudes, temper tantrums, selfish behavior, to be lovers of God and not themselves. How do I do this day in and day out and maintain a joyful-servant heart? By knowing that I am just one tool in God’s toolbox! It’s not up to me to change my children, that is God’s job. My job is to prayerfully seek God’s Will in the life of each of my children, teach them the ways of the Lord and watch to see what GOD is doing in their life.


Praise God, the pressure is off of me! It has always been up to Him.


Keep being diligent mothers! Teach your children the ways of the Lord, when you walk, sit, eat and drive in the car together. Take every opportunity and do not consider it wasted! God is working…You are off the hook!


From One Mother To Another,


14 comments:

Deb said...

As a mom to 2 older teenagers, one of the greatest lessons God has taught me is to remember I cannot convict them of anything. All I can do is show them His way. It's very hard to watch your children make decisions that will in no way please God, but I now just hold on the the fact that they've been raised to know what His Word says and that He will convict them and remain true to His promise that if we bring them up in the Lord when they are young, they will not depart from Him as they get older.
Blessings!
Deb

Connie said...

Amen to both your post and the comment by Deb. God is faithful and can do what we can not.

christy rose said...

Amen Stacie! This is an excellent reminder that our job is to train their flesh and fill their hearts and minds with Truth! It is His job to reveal Himself and make Himself real to them individually. We can not do His job for Him. If we remember that, we will stay in peace without having to have perfectly behaved children all the time. I love what you said here, "My job is to fill the water-pots! It’s God’s job to turn the water into wine." Great post!

David and Margaret said...

That is comforting so it is so easy to get discouraged which is what the enemy wants. This is always a good reminder. WE are but one tool in His toolbox. How conceited to think that we are it but it is easy.
Thanks for the reminder. We are really focusing on honor. In the back of the book there are 8 weekly activities. David is going to start it. WE actually tried yesterday but BAd me....impeded him. I must to better but I am really excited for the kids and us to dive in and try the honor challenge together. They don't have a choice but it will plant seeds.

Camille said...

I love the book "Age of Opportunity" by Paul David Tripp...this book deals with not only the child, but the parent...very good!! If you don't have a copy I know you will be blessed if you get one!

It's such a blessing to really rest in the Lord and His goodness to us! You are right...we must surrender to the Lord. He is the ONE that will change their hearts...after all we want HIM to have the hearts of our children. Keep on pressing on toward the Lord...He is faithful and will complete what He begins in us!

Blessings,
Camille

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

You know I've already read this since I'm your personal editor, but it was great to read it again. I loved reading all the comments.

Jenn @ A Country Girl's Ramblings said...

Beautiful post and a much needed reminder for this momma!

Tricia said...

I get those feelings a lot, too, Stacie. I worry if I am ruining my kids by not teaching something right, or losing my temper one too many times, etc. But when I step back and take a look at it, God reminds me, also, that He is the one in charge of their future, and they will turn out the way He has purposed for them to turn out. I constantly pray that God will raise my children in spite of me! Thank you for showing me that I am not alone!

wife.mom.nurse said...

That free will thing... beyond difficult when it's our own kid!

Love this. Very comforting. HE will finish the work we have started.

Thanks.

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

Thanks, Marcus! We'll miss you too. I know you'll have a great time at Grandma Kricket's house with Josiah. Love ya! Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog.

Cat said...

The LORD has given you a talent that we reap from when you write, Stacie! Thank you.

Amy@theredheaddiaries.blogspot.com said...

Your are such an awesome Mom!!!! Thanks for being such a great inspiration :)

Chris in FL said...

Thank you so much for your words of encouragement. It is so true what you said.

My oldest son is 15 yrs old and I remember looking back when he was an adolescent how frustrated I would become over his foolish ways that I would walk around miserable and look and compare my ways of mothering to other mothers. "Am I not doing enough". I would often ask....actually, I still do. ha ha ha.

I remember a wise mother say we need to lay our children's lives at the altar of the Lord. Give them over to the Lord and let Him do the work. Our job is to instruct and teach them who God is and then let them find their way. Similar to what you said.

I now look and can let go of my controlling. I let him grow up by making mistakes. I encourage Him to follow what God has for Him. I am enjoying my relationship with him. Even though we both might tell you that we shouldn't argue so much. (teenage stuff--wink).

Just yesterday, I accused him of being to rough with his brothers and hurting one of them. He said it was an accident. We were both raising our voices....I told him to go for a run and when he can come back and be respectful, he is welcome back. I was very angry. I know I was wrong. He then picks up his baby sister who was crying and walks outside (no he didn't go for a run, just walked the baby around in the front yard). I am standing folding laundry and fuming, then Holy SPirit starts saying that I was wrong for exploding on him and I should repent. As soon as he walks in he says "forgive me mom for arguing with you and hurting my brother." And as soon as he said this, actually while he was still talking I said "No...forgive me. I shouldn't of yelled and accused." It brings peace that God convicted him and corrected him....just like He did me.

My oldest boy is becoming such a wonderful young man. God is going to make him into such a wonderful husband and father. This I know!!

Bless you,
Chris

...they call me mommy... said...

Amen! Neat post! :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails