Thursday, November 5, 2009

My New Disciplining Method

I love the book "Good and Angry" and have implemented a ton of ideas from it. The "break system" has been amazing, but sometimes doesn't seem like enough of a consequence. I was reading another really good book called, "Raising a Large Family While Staying Sane". I think this might work good for our family. You see, I have a hard time thinking of consequences on the spot. When you have five children that you are constantly disciplining you can sort of lose track of things! I wrote up a chart of different colored levels. I explained to the children if they disobey and break any of the 21 Rules of The House, then they will lose privileges. So now if a child is sassy, I tell them they have a Code Yellow. That means they have lose their snacks for the day (hey this saves money, too!). If they do something else, like hit their brother or take a toy away, they go to Code Orange. Hmmmm, no snacks and no electronics (TV, computer, radio, books on tape). That one hurt a bit! You see how it is going. Green is an Afternoon Rest Time (my older boys would be offended if I said they needed a nap), Blue is 7:00 bedtime and the worse is Red, go to bed right after dinner. Yikes! A fate worse than death! I keep track of where everyone is on my dry erase board in the homeschool room. So far, only Josh has gotten to Code Orange. The next day, he was a different child. So, as always we'll so how long this works. I think if I am consistent with this and not afraid to dole out the consequence it is going to work. What is hard is when I know that we have company or that we need to go somewhere. I'll have to tweak it sometimes, I'm sure.

You can go on my sister Jackie's blog, www.homesteadwannabes.blogspot.com to see how she made it work for a smaller family. She also explained a little bit more about why we are doing this. Good stuff!

Oh, what do you think of our little Pumpkin Lily? we got the idea from Jackie.

Here is the 21 Rules of the House. It gives them something to look at during meals, and has actually helped my oldest to read better. The pictures help the little ones know what they are.
I tried to get a picture of the Rules all together.
This is a great alternative to carving all those pumpkins, I just didn't have it in me this year. Maybe next year. Jessica was the only one that seemed disappointed. I can't wait till they can start carving their own!
Posted by Picasa

12 comments:

Tsavah said...

Thay's cute!

Tsavah said...

I mean that's cute!

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

Your chart does look different from mine, but it is the same idea. Thanks for posting how you make this work for a larger family. I'm so glad God gave this to us! It is changing things around here for the better.

Adorable Lily Pumpkin!

J said...

I'd love to hear updates along the way as to how your children respond. I am so good at starting something strong, only to become overwhelmed and let it all go.

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

J, I am too! I seem to have to tweak things and adjust them to make it work for our family. I am expecting to this time as well. I read tons of parenting books (Christian mostly) and try to implement things that I'm struggling with (anger, bad attitudes, disrespect, ect.) I try to be teachable in this area, probably because I feel so inadequate! But for the grace of God go I!

Anonymous said...

I love the pumkin

melaniek said...

I absolutely love this idea, and while I don't think it will work for us for a bit yet I am definitely going to tuck this away in my brain for use in a few years. And I just LOVE the pumpkin, way to cute and it really saved your hands from a lot of carving!

Connie said...

The chart idea is terrific. It will work as long as you 'work' so I pray that you makes enough wins to keep going! Cute pumpkin - I am tired of carving, too.

Cat said...

I was always trying new ways of controling my classroom when I taught in the public school, Stacie. This one seems really good. I wish I'd known about it then. Let me know how it works.

Rachel and Family said...

My favorite part are the hearts :)
The Lord (and Momma) disciplines those He (she) LOVES.
I have been using the "I'm going to need to think upon a good consequence for you." It grows my kids closer to God because they are hoping and praying I'm not thinking to long! LOL!

EE said...

Okay, so what are the 21 rules? Did you find them somewhere or make your own?

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

My friend gave them to me. It is a set of rules that Greg and Joshua Harris made and produced. I have used it in my homeschool curriculum and have had good success with it. You can google "21 Rules of the House" and I'm sure you can find it. Try Ebay as well!

Related Posts with Thumbnails