Friday, October 9, 2009

Homemade Baby Food-Being Frugal

I used to be one of those mom (back when I had two children) that bought all those lovely jars of baby food. I would spend big bucks on them, trying to make sure my baby had a well-balanced meal. After I had my third child (Jessica), money started to get tighter. I found a book called "Miserly Moms". It had section of how to make homemade baby food. I thought I would try it out. It was so EASY! You take whatever leftovers you have (above is mac n cheese, peas, and chicken) throw it in a blender with water. Puree it (the older kids love to do this part).
Pour it into ice cube trays and place in freezer.
I put them all together (here I have pears, peas, and the chicken dinner cubes all in one bag). I can tell what they are by the color. I used to put them in individual bags and label them. This is probably two weeks worth of baby food, right here. The cost? Probably a dollar or two. I was going to throw the peas and mac and cheese away because it wasn't enough for everyone and is usually terrible heated up. It's a great way to use up leftovers that you don't have enough of.
Be careful when you microwave the baby food. It doesn't take very long. Always test the temp before serving! Here is my Lily. She is loving my baby food! It is so nice now that Jessica is older, she delights in feeding Lily, which leaves my hands free to serve the others during dinner. Lily still doesn't have teeth!

You can do this! Start saving money today! Hey, I sound like an advertisement!

Does anyone else have any money-saving tips they would like to share?
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

EE said...

I wish I would have seen this when my kids were younger. Baby food was so expensive! Thanks so much for sharing.

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

I'm so glad you told me about this. I've saved hundreds of dollars by doing this, not to mention the health benefits for my babies.

Cat said...

Stacie, my youngest sister is 49, and I recall my mom doing the very same thing for her when I was a teen! Amazing, isn't how things come back into style?

Kimberly said...

This is funny- Me and our Tuseday Visitor's Momma were just talking baby food. She's just getting going on foods, Momma made up some mashed potatoes and froze for her. My advice was don't buy any baby food, get her used to eating what you eat! She's going to be making her baby food too!

Camille said...

I used to make my own baby food...it really is the way to go! BUT now all my kids have teeth and EAT tons of food!!!!!! :)
Blessings,
Camille

Robin said...

Wanna hear a fun tidbit? Joni McCoy was in my health food co-op in San Jose. I knew her well enough to chat with her at the CHEA Convention but I wouldn't say we were buddies or anything.

Still. That's my claim to fame. HA

Related Posts with Thumbnails