homeschool, I was very honest with Him and let Him know right away that I was not cut out for it. My fear of not having the resources and being solely responsible for my children's education was very real. I had every excuse in the book to tell God no. Do you want to hear them? You'll probably laugh...
1. I don't know how to teach my kids to read. I'll just send them to school until they can read and then I'll homeschool them. God let me know right away that He would help me to teach my children to read.
2. I can't homeschool more than two children. Hah! Now I have six!
3. How could we possibly afford it? The statistics say that it costs an average of $250 per year per child to homeschool them. I have spent $0 homeschooling three kids this year. How is that possible? Well, a few years back, my sister came across a state curriculum sale for $1 a book (including teacher's guides). I got six of every work book for every subject. I figured it out. For $250, I bought about $5,000 worth of homeschool material! This will get me through 8 Grade. After that, I plan to supplement with things on the Internet or material around the house. If I have to buy a book, I trust God will provide the money. He always has! He is so amazing! Note the $250, don't you think that it is ironic that my fear was answered by the exact amount that it would have cost to homeschool one child for one year! LOL! My homeschool store is my shed! People give me free Abeka material every year from their private Christian school. It's awesome!
4. How can I teach my children things like math, carpentry, science, and other things that were difficult for me in school? Things I did not "master". Well, God sent us Loren, the neighbor! He is a retired math teacher who LOVES to teach children. The above pictures are just a few of the things that he has helped my boys make. Table, bench, train whistle, and a sling shot. He has also taught Marcus how to play chess. He is great at making the boys think for themselves, not giving the answer right away. Loren was a Master Gardener and has taught my kids tons about plants, trees and gardening. He told me he is looking forward to the day when I call, stumped on how to teach a math concept! I have my own built in Math expert/tutor next door! Awesome!!!
5. What if I run into trouble with learning disabilities? I am not an expert on such matters. My oldest started showing trouble with reading and math around Second Grade. I felt like I was beating my head against the wall. We couldn't advance any further. I started praying for wisdom. Behold! A missionary Educational Therapist (sent back to America due to civil unrest in Africa) asked if she could work with Josh for free so she could further her education. She confirmed everything that I had been dealing with. We immediately started therapy and since then Josh has come a long ways. Again, God provided what I needed exactly when I needed it!
You see, when God took all my fears and told me "My grace is sufficient for you," and "I will provide what you need," he wasn't kidding. When He calls us to do something challenging and out of our comfort zone, we are to obey Him and trust Him. He wants to WOW us with what He can do!
Isn't that so God?
18 hours ago