Saturday, October 31, 2009

Catching Up

I have been trying very hard the past few months to take my children more places and do more things. Last year, due to pregnancy, I was very limited. We stayed home a LOT! Above, is a picture of Andrew. We went to an Operation Christmas Child party and wrapped shoe boxes. It was a little stressful when I realized that not one of my four older children were able to do this on their own. I think I had that deer in the headlight look and didn't even know where to start. Some kind people volunteered their teenagers and assigned them to help some of my children. It was great! After wrapping the shoe boxes we sat down and watched the new Veggie Tale's movie, which was all about sharing and giving our Christmas away. Andrew won a door prize, "a Very Veggie Christmas". We were so thrilled for him! But when I realized that it was the a CD that we already had, he didn't miss a beat and said, "Mom, I could give this to Kenya!" He went over and put it in the Kenya pile! I couldn't believe it! We praised him up and down and told him that he had just given part of his Christmas away and how he was going to be blessed. This picture was taken after he decided to give the CD to Kenya.
I came in the door from getting my hair cut and my two older boys freaked and said, "You have brown hair again! We missed it!" It feels good to have shorter, brown hair again. It was fun being blonde, but I'm not going to spend $60 every 6 months or so to get it maintained. Now, Lily can't pull my hair quite as hard!
Steve took this shot of Lily. She didn't just start crawling last week, she is now pulling herself up on furniture. Sniff, sniff! She wants to grow up so fast, and I'm not in any hurry for that to happen. I am cherishing every moment with her, since she is probably my last baby.
LastWednesday night, my friend, Margaret, invited us to go see a Christian illusionist at her church. I had no idea what I was walking into. Apparently, it was geared toward middle school aged kids. I took my 11, 9, 6, and 4 year old. I decided that I am officially an old lady. The music was blaring, I couldn't understand any of the words, and I would look around and every other kid was texting, or had some kind of music device in their ear. It is such a different world since I have been in school. My kids and I felt like foreigners. Not a bad thing. Many of the kids were very rude and it didn't feel like there was much control. The illusionist was a great trooper and even though it was very distracting, several people made decisions for Christ. On the way home, I had a chance to answer questions and the two older boys both told me they are glad that our family is different. They had been complaining lately, that they didn't like how we are different (we make them work and have rules), now they are thanking me for it! Yeah!

Josh had raised his hand at the show and rededicated his life to the Lord. At bedtime, Marcus asked if he could do it, too. I was glad I went after all!

I had Bible study in my home two days ago, when in the middle of the our Beth Moore video, I hear "Mom, come quick, Josh had a stick sticking into his bone!" Oh, great! We run out there and Josh is hysterical. There was a stick about the diameter of about a pea sticking out of his leg. I couldn't tell how far it was in, so I was about to call Steve (was he there? Nooooo) and ask him if I should try to pull it out or take him to the ER. Margaret looked at me calmly and said, "Aren't you going to just pull it out?" She reached down, covered Josh's eyes and pulled. It took three really good pulls to get it out. Man, it must have hurt! It gave me the heebie jeebies! He's OK, but now it is infected. We are putting lots of peroxide and Neosporin on it. He has his last game of soccer today. He doesn't want to miss it, but I really hope he doesn't get kicked in the shin!

Yesterday was an awesome day! I quickly homeschooled, and then went to tea with my friend, Rachel. We had a great time and chatted for, oh, 2 hours! We had to run home and nurse our babies afterwards! It was just so good to catch up and encourage each other in the Lord.

We also had their whole clan come for dinner. We had slow-cooked herbed pork roast and carameled apples for dessert. The kids had so much fun together, and the adults, too! They are a terrific family and our kids get along really well! I'll post pictures later!

So today is soccer, ACTS, and a Harvest Party! Whew! Now I'm supposed to cook, clean, and do laundry in there somewhere, right? LOL!
Posted by Picasa

13 comments:

Farmgirl Cyn said...

Homeschoolers CAN be different cause they don't get it mocked out of them in public school! I loved that about our homesdchooling years...my kids were comfortable anywhere and not afraid to talk to adults as well as children much younger than them.

alexis said...

Ewww! That story about your son and the stick...reminded me of what I have to look forward to with 3 boys! I hope he's doing better. I feel really guilty right now too, because I haven't been able to really take my 5 year old anywhere for about 2 years now, having been pregnant for the last 18 months! He must really think I'm boring. I have a lot of making up to do to him!

Camille said...

I enjoyed reading this Stacie! So much going on around there. What a blessing when our children see some of the blessings of homeschool, etc...but our greatest reward is when the Lord has their HEARTS...you must be so encouraged by the evidence of the Lord in your children!

Blessings,
Camille

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

Great post, Stace. Even though I talk to you more times a day that I'd like to admit, I still missed a couple of things :) So glad soccer is almost over for you.

Love ya,
Jackie

Grandma Becky said...

OUCH!!!stick in a kid's leg sounds bad but glad he's ok!!!
Our homeschooled kids had rules and chores as well. Now they are adults and the managers love them cuz they have some work ethic--showing up for work on time and actually working!! It's good to know that your children realized why you are doing what you are doing in their lives. PTL!! Hang in there, Stacie.

...they call me mommy... said...

Whew! Sounds like busy busy...but a fun, rewarding busy!

Blessings!
Amy

OurLilFullFam said...

I love you hair!

We went to the veggie party today too. We won the drawing dvd, the one where you can learn how to draw each character. They are watching the new Christmas movie right now as I type this!

We still have to wrap up our boxes, I still need a couple things for each one though.

I am glad you didn't have to go to the ER, and I pray he heals quick and the infection clears up fast!!

Stephanie

wife.mom.nurse said...

Wow! Lots going on over there!

Love your new hair :)

Neat about news of your boys at the illusionist show

Sorry about the stick. My brother did a major stick jab when he was a teen. It turned out a piece broke off inside. If antibiotics don't work well, you may want to have it looked at. (But chances are it's infected because sticks are dirty)

I am starting a Beth Moore bible study over the next couple of weeks.

:)

Amy@theredheaddiaries.blogspot.com said...

I absolutely love, love, love the new hair!!! And I just had to remind you that those things ONLY happen when our husbands are at work :)

Cat said...

Great info on all kinds of things. You did well catching us up on it all. Great hair, Stacie; I must have seen it right after you had it done. I'm at my sis's for the day.

christy rose said...

Oh my goodness! What a full post! I LOVE your hair! It is so cute!! That is terrible about Josh's leg. I am glad you were able to get that thing out! What was it and how did it happen? What an ordeal! I bet he was beside himself!

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

Josh was running up a hill and there were those wild paradise trees that are everywhere. One of them jabbed into his leg. Kind of a freak thing. We are still struggling with infection. It seems like it might be getting better now.

J said...

LOVE your hair!!!

love the veggie tales story! your son is precious!

wow regarding the stick! i cannot imagine!

Related Posts with Thumbnails