Monday, October 12, 2009

Being A Good Neighbor/ Fall Decorations

My hubby bought me two boxes of Asian Pears the other day. I wasn't sure what to do with them all, so I decided to make pies out of them. I have been praying for my neighbors a lot lately and trying to teach my children the meaning of being a good neighbor. I got them all excited when I told them I was going to make each of them a pie and they would help me deliver them! I also made four loaves of whole wheat bread that day. I was home and just wanted to get some in the freezer. It felt great! The neighbors were thrilled with the pies and the children kept saying, "We're being good neighbors!".
Jessica is really into decorating. Since we don't do Halloween (scary stuff) around here, I try to be good about decorating with a fall flavor. I will post more pictures of some other stuff we have up. I just loved this green gingham table cloth. It is barely big enough to fit on our huge table!
I picked this garland up at the Dollar store. I think they look pretty hanging off of the dining room lights

Again, Dollar store. The colors are very bright and cheery!
Posted by Picasa

11 comments:

candy said...

What a good idea,to make the neighbors feel special. Good for you guys. What about old neighbors?LOL
I noticed the pretty table cloth in the last blog and I meant to tell you how pretty it looked. I love Fall colors.Looks great. Good job Jess.

Kimberly said...

That's a great idea to use Asian pears in pies, they are a sturdy fruit. And of course sharing with neighbors is such a great lesson; Our neighbor who said we could have the apples on their tree, were so surprised at the yummy pie made from their apples. They thought since they were tart that the apples were no good! We surprised them!

Scrapingirl said...

I wish I was your neighbor. :)

melaniek said...

I love the fall decor, autumn is my very favorite time of year. And what a great idea of how to teach your children to be a good neighbor!

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

Very nice, Stace! I need to get my cool pumpkin basket out and start making leaf roses. I'd like to give some bouquets to the neighbors. I love that you gave your neighbors pies. Who wouldn't like that? You gotta do something to butter them up so they don't get mad at all the "kid noises" coming from your place, LOL!

...they call me mommy... said...

Neat post! :) My hubby likes me to bake for the neighbors also...especially a widow just down the road from us...thanks for the reminder to reach out and to do it with the kids!

Love, love your fall decorations! Proves that things can look so nice with just a few dollars and a whole lotta creativity!

Blessings to you!
Amy

Jenn @ A Country Girl's Ramblings said...

Those pies looked scrumtious! What a great lesson for your children. And your fall decorations are beautiful!

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

Thanks everyone! I like to decorate, but I don't like spending the money. It always feels more special when you can do it really cheap!

Candy, I so miss bring you guys over my "experiment recipes". I loved that about our relationship. I could just bring you leftovers and make you dinner as a surprise! What fun we used to have. I so wish the neighbors are here were a bit younger and not as reclusive. I try to be as friendly as I can, but they are just not like you guys who opened their arms to us. I take that back. Loren has been a huge blessing to me. He is the "man" around when Steve is gone.

Parsley said...

Stacie,

How do you wrap your bread to keep it from getting freezer burn? How long will it keep?

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

Parsely,

I put it in gallon-size ziplock bags. I try to squeeze the air out of it. It will probably keep for a few weeks. We go through it very fast!

alexis said...

Your home looks lovely, Stacie!
I think it's so sweet that you blessed your neighbors.

Related Posts with Thumbnails