Saturday, September 12, 2009

Bathing Beauty and Life in General

When we went to visit my mom while she was in the hospital, we stayed in a fairly cheap motel. There wasn't a bathtub and Lily was just plain getting ripe!
Soooo, I put her in the sink and washed her up good. She looked so cute in there, I told Jess to grab the camera and take a few pics!
She is so tiny still. I am just so in love with her. She is simply irresistible. She always has sticky things in her hair, because every time one of the kids walk by, they give her a big fat smooch on her head. I've found oatmeal, mashed potatoes, red Gatorade, you name it! I'm glad they love her, but she is impossible to keep clean because of their "attentions".
I just had to throw in a little of what I've been up to. My stepmom, Diana, has a huge garden and has been sharing all of her produce with us. She gave me a bunch of squash, which last year I wouldn't have even taken it. I hate squash and don't know how to cook with it. But thanks to the encouragement of my sister, I chopped it all up and put it into freezer bags to put in casseroles and soups. The kids don't even know it's in there. I did the same thing with the numerous GIANT zucchinies people gave me.

Today, I have been in provision mode. I started the day off putting in a huge frozen beef roast into the crock pot. I added beef bouillon, garlic, a bit of onion soup mix, salt and pepper. Topped it off with water to cover the whole thing and let it cook until 4:00 p.m. I then made up a yummy rice recipe. I had a bit of frozen broccoli in the freezer (not enough to use it as a side dish) so I chopped it up and put it in with the 1/2 brown and 1/2 white rice. I put chicken bouillon in the water, garlic and some butter. Yummy! I just let it simmer till all the broth was soaked up.

After dinner, I would have normally thrown the beef drippings away (I'm not a real gravy person), but my sister told me I could make broth out of it. In a different pot, I threw in some onions, green pepper, carrots and lots of garlic and a bit of pepper with the bone that was left over and some water. Then I added the drippings. I simmered it for about 2 hours. I'm going to let it get cold and then scoop the fat off the top. Can't wait to use that in some kind of yummy soup!

I made homemade cinnamon rolls for dessert tonight and breakfast tomorrow morning (1/2 whole wheat and 1/2 white flour, with sucanat instead of brown sugar). Right now, I'm making two loaves of bread for tomorrow. I've been busy but it feels really good.

I've reading an awesome book called "Womanly Dominion". It has been really encouraging me to take dominion over the things that God has put me in charge of : My house, my children, being a helpmeet to my husband, ect." Yesterday, I decided that I would take "dominion" over my bedroom and clean it up really good. I was so inspired that I went and did the same thing to my kitchen. I cleaned things that I don't normally do and even used baking soda to clean the counters. Wow, you want to talk about taking stains off (my grandma's suggestion for stain removal). Today, I went for the playroom/baby nursery. This is where all the toys are stored (I don't have that many) and tons of clothes that are either waiting for someone to grow into them or someone has just grown out of them and I'm saving them for someone else or I am too lazy to put them out in the shed. I went through 5 boxes of clothes and sorted them all out. It felt sooooo good! The room is clean and organized.

Tomorrow is a big day for the kids. Their first soccer games! We have a game at 1:00, 2:00, 3:00 and 4:00 p.m. I know, crazy! But I'm trying to have a better attitude about it. I love watching them. It's chasing the two year old from eating other people's snacks and grabbing their water bottles that isn't so fun. Steve will be there to help and I think Dad and Diana will be there as well. I love it when grandparents come and watch them play. They sometimes distract the little ones and I can actually watch the game.

Hey, thanks for all the comments! I've been feeling pretty special lately. I just love to hear from you all and meet new people! If you are new and are reading this, please leave a comment so that I can drop by your blog as well. This has become a social outlet for me. I think it is much needed. Your comments are a great source of encouragement!
Posted by Picasa

12 comments:

atpanda said...

I'm coming to eat at your house!

Apologies for answering your question in your comments... hmmm, tips for getting a big family to smile: have the photographer tell everyone to do one massive group hug! If you're already all set up so everyone can be seen, then you tell everyone to hug in towards the middle: golden! Also, having everyone say something silly is always a winner. "Stinky underpants!" "Silly Willy!" "Boogers!" Anything that will make the kids laugh. :-)

If I lived nearby I'd come take some great pics for you guys!

Thanks for the visit back to my blog!

Jessica said...

You have been busy, and apparently productive! (Not to insinuate that you're anything less than busy and productive daily anyhow!) But I know what you mean about getting things tidy and even overhauled...I went through some boxes of clothes out in our shed and sorted them by gender and by size and by category (pants, sweaters, etc). I've got a whole load ready to pass onto a family who'd like to have some of our baby clothes, and I'm so glad that I get to see these things put to use again. You know how babies are, they tend to outgrow things before wearing them out, so it's good to see this stuff get used. And it's good to see a part of our shed I didn't know existed before the purge! Hehehe Thanks for being an encouragement to women, wives, and mothers to make the most of what the Lord has blessed us with, including our tangible items and time with our loved ones!

Connie said...

What a lot you accomplished today! Hurray!

You have some yummy things 'a cooking'!

Sweet pic of the baby in the sink. So nice when they are small enough to fit. I always did their baths in the kitchen sink as long as I could - easier on my back.

Cat said...

I'm with Connie, my babies always bathed in the kitchen sink because there is a counter to lay them down on when they finish too. We didn't have changing tables back in the dark ages.

Good girl for 'squirreling things away for later too. I'm always impressed with myself when I'm motivated to clean something well that usually just gets 'a lick and a promise'.

Parsley said...

Your hotel experience reminded me of the time I had to shower holding my daughter when she was a baby. Not an easy way to get her clean! In fact once soap was applied it was down right dangerous! She was like a little greased piggie!!

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

Parsley, LOL! I have had the same experience. They are so slippery it is dangerous. I don't do that anymore. I think the sink is safer!

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

Oh, she is too cute!

I'm so proud of you for making that broth and using the squash and zucchini. Josiah decided he doesn't like squash and zucchini anymore, so I'm dicing them small and he doesn't know he's eating them in just about everything!

God job in taking dominion over your home. I need to do that with my refrigerator, badly!

RaD said...

I remember when Bethany was littler and Elisha would be playing in a baseball game. We didn't have too much of a problem with her getting into other people's stuff it was keeping her from wandering away when we took our eyes off of her. Luckily the ball fields the kids play at are not close to any busy roads and there are sooo many kids out there that parents kind of start watching out for each other's little one. But I do remember hating if Yohn could not be there because it basically meant I was chasing her the whole time.

I also need to take dominion over many things in my own home! Thanks for the reminder... or maybe no thanks! Just kidding!

Anonymous said...

Hello I do not have a blog to follow but I enjoy following yours.I read your article in Above Rubies.I love being a mom and wife to my wonderful man.You have been really busy in your kitchen.

christy rose said...

She is so cute! I can see why you just love her! You have been doing the domestic food thing that is for sure. I wish I took more time to try and do some of those yummy things too. :)

Beth said...

This is a great post!

Margaret said...

I tell ya...Your blog has inspired me to keep blogging. I haven't blogged in a while and I'm trying to feel inspired enough to actually blog something. Maybe now I will.

Related Posts with Thumbnails