Sunday, August 2, 2009

These Dry Bones



These Dry Bones

Dear Mothers,

Sometimes mothering seems to suck the life out of you, doesn’t it? I was lying in bed this morning dreading the thought of having to get up. I thought, “Why am I thinking like this?” I love being a mother, but the constant disciplining and just plain work can get to you after awhile. I started praying for God to give me the strength to get through the day. I asked God to give me joy again. I told Him I felt dry as a bone. That is when He reminded me of Ezekiel and the dry bones.

Ezekiel 37 talks about a vision that the LORD gave to Ezekiel. After looking at a valley littered with dry, sun-bleached bones, He asked Ezekiel “Can these bones live?” Ezekiel replied that he did not know. The Lord then says, “Prophesy to these bones and say to them, ‘Dry bones: hear the word of the LORD! This is what the Sovereign LORD says to these bones: I will make breath enter you, and you will come to LIFE…I will put my spirit into you and you will live…Then you will know that I the LORD have spoken, and I have done it, declares the LORD.”

These bones represented the people’s spiritually dead condition. Sometimes I feel like that. I feel spiritually dead, perhaps even numb. It’s disheartening and depressing to say the least. I long to wake up each day with joy and expectation. That just isn’t the reality of a mother. When we feel like dry bones, we need to go to God and ask Him to bring life into us. Call out to Him and ask Him to restore to you the JOY of your salvation! He CAN and WILL restore you if you ask Him. He will give you the strength and grace to get through each day and it’s challenges.

I think what “dries” me out the most is keeping up with the disciplining. Trying to keep on top of what is going on in my children’s hearts is exhausting. Applying consequences, thinking of new ones when they don’t work, picking my battles, listening to the seemingly constant squabbles can drain even the sweetest of mothers. I need to work on going to God before I’m a heap of “dry bones”. He will give me a fresh vision for my family.

From One Mom to Another,

4 comments:

Cat said...

I can just see your skeletal remains jumping up and praising God, Stacie! You are very good at going to the LORD and asking for whatever you need. Thank you for sharing this. I go to the dry place too once in awhile, mostly when I've overdone it the day before. I'm thankful for such a gracious and generous and merciful God.

candy said...

The fact that you are not feeling well plays alot in how you feel about EVERYTHING. When you are not feeling up to par and you are exhausted and the weather is so hot also, just be assurred that he is with you always,He knows what your feeling and He is there. Good for you, for going to Him. You will survive this too. I love you. I am drained also. But the weather is going to cool this week. YAY!!!

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

I love this one and can so identify at times! Love you, hang in there, Sis!

Rachel and Family said...

As always, great post Stacie! I've got lots of bone experience: Dry bones, weary bones, grumpy bones, lazy bones, frustrated bones, had enough of it bones...

but my favorite is the funny bone!

Those mohawks are way cool! Next time I want to see you with one.

Related Posts with Thumbnails