Sunday, August 23, 2009

Mt. St. Helen's Homeschool Field Trip

Here's the fam front of the volcano. I have lived in the Northwest all my life and have wanted to visit Mt. St. Helens. I was 5 years old when it blew and I remember ash covering the ranch we lived on. The kids were not happy here, especially Josh. The camera guy was taking forever and there were these nasty bugs flying in our faces.
The trauma this mountian suffered is astounding. It is amazing to think of a 1/3 of a mountian pouring into a valley and changing the landscape signficantly. One lake disappeared, while two others were formed. It was really windy and there were ash clouds in the center of the volcano.
Here is a look at the destruction of the valley beneath it. There were alder trees everywhere! They must be pretty hearty.
You can see more of the ash blowing around in the crater.
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Toni Floyd said...

Stacie, I lived two hours away from Mt. St. Helens when she blew. I was in fourth grade at the time so I guess I was about 9 yrs. old. I remember it happened on a Sunday because all the churches cancelled their services. I was a papergirl and delivered the daily newspaper so that day my dad drove me around so I could get my papers delivered. The ash was falling so hard from the sky it looked like gray snow. The ground was covered in ash and it was like walking through lightweight snow. The ash was so deep it covered my shoes when I walked. I'll never forget that.
Toni

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

Toni,

Thanks for sharing your experience. It's fascinating to me to hear actual accounts. Could you hear the roar?

Cat said...

The spectacular scenery is awesome. I visited with a friend about 10 years ago. I, too, recall living north of John Day and having ash fall on our truck. Later in the month (Memorial Day weekend) we travelled to Astoria for a last visit to the ocean before moving to Misery. The roads had been plowed just as if about a foot of snow had fallen. The ash was still piled up along the side of the road. I don't recall hearing it blast, but we were pretty far away. The ash marred the paint on the truck forever.

Toni Floyd said...

No, I didn't hear it blast. I wasn't close enough for that. Like Cat said the ash was everywhere. We had to wear masks everywhere we went for a while. It was a mess, as you can imagine. It took years to clean up. It clogged up the rain gutters and just got into everything. I just remember it was a few years before a person didn't see some ash somewhere. The effects were long lasting.

christy rose said...

You take the best field trips! I hope your kids know what a great teacher they have. :)

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

Josiah looked at these pictures and asked when we get to go. I'm thinking he'll get more out of it when he's a bit older. When I visited with the Oregon Society of Soil Scientists years ago, I was amazed at the alteration of the landscape. Incredible!

Related Posts with Thumbnails