Tuesday, August 25, 2009

More Intentional

My children sometimes complain to me that we "don't do anything". I have to admit, sometimes they are right. I kind of hole up when Steve is at work. I don't go to the store, I don't go to the park and I certainly don't take them on adventures by myself like my mom did. I am trying to get braver and follow the lead of my dear friend, Rachel (who has five children of her own). This woman amazes me! She takes her kids everywhere. Doctor's offices, the store, movie theatres, you name it! I purposely schedule my appointments for when Steve is available to watch a kid or two, or three. Well, the other day the weather was not too hot and not too cold. We even had a break from the wind, so I loaded them up in the van and showed them a little place I discovered. There is a new resort going up in our town and they have gotten started on some of the landscaping. I fell in love with this waterfall/pond. The kids really enjoyed it as well.
There was a little bench area next to this waterfall. I dreamed of sitting there one day to do my Bible study. I can dream, can't I!
Here is the pond, complete with lily pads.

I think a bunch of houses are supposed to be built in this area, overlooking the bridge and dam. Those are the Klickitat Mountains behind the dam. We walked around the loop, but there was so much puncture-vine. The kids kept walking through it. I made them take their shoes off when we got in the van so that the "goat-head" stickers wouldn't rip up the seats. I HAAAATE that nasty weed. Good thing I didn't bring Snickers. She would have been miserable.

Today was a tough day. Satan wanted me to fall flat on my face. I kept praying all day long as I disciplined, disciplined, and disciplined some more. At the end of the day, after all of the conflict, I can honestly say that I think I got to their heart. It started turning for the better around 3:00 p.m. I even swallowed my pride and asked Rachel's husband, Paul, if he would be willing to take Marcus to soccer along with his kid. He gladly did it and I didn't have to load all of the kids up for the second time the day to go to a sports practice. Whew! Thank you!!!! I'll take any blessing I can get.

Before Josh went to bed, he apologized for being a "turd" (his words). I've never called him that, so I'm not sure where he got it, but I think he got the point. I really had a long chat with him about being a good example to his little brothers and sisters. We hugged and all is well.

I made it through another day. There, but for the grace of God go I. I couldn't do this without Him. Not for a second. He is my all in all. He is my strength and my song when I am drained of everything. People ask me all the time, "I don't know how you do it?" I just laugh and say, "I don't. God does." It's simple and it's true.

I praise you, God!

Posted by Picasa

11 comments:

Cat said...

Praise is the answer, isn't it? He is ALWAYS there for us; He provides, He offers grace and mercy forever and ever, over and over, endlessly. What a mighty God we serve! You go, girl!

I'm up because I can't sleep for the excitement of a trip tomorrow to see my precious children and praying for sleep as I write.

RaD said...

That's awesome! I had trouble with my two yesterday and I really was fed up with our oldest (he's seven) because his sister copies him. At the end of the night though he came back and apologized for not behaving and has hard a great day today! Yay! God does help us when we are allowing Him too!

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

You finished that day well, Stace, and God was glorified in your life. Praise Him! Thanks for helping me get through my difficult day as well. It got better after we talked.

I'm so proud of you for taking the kidlets to see the beautiful pond/waterfall. You're doing good, Stace.

christy rose said...

You did good getting out with all of your kids to go visit a fun place. I know how you feel about trying to do that on your own. I try not to have to take all of my kids out by myself too. Honestly, as much for others as for myself. I just have 5 kids but it is still quite a bit for me to keep entertained and behaving properly all together for a long period of time, especially when they were younger. We stay home a lot too. And, my kids complain about that too. But, i think they will really remember the times when we did get out and do things together. Those times will be especially memorable for them, since getting out and going places is a special time for us not a regular. That's the way I try to look at it anyway. :)
Hope you have a great week,
Christy

candy said...

You did so good and I know it is tiring(sp?)to load everyone up and GO anywhere. I am so happy that you did it.
You have GOOD kids. Josh is a sweet boy. You are doing so good with him. I don't see what you see. I see so much LOVE in him,for his Lord,for his family and fr us his friends. You keep up the good WORK, it does get easier. I love you.

Chris in FL said...

I just saw you in the Above Rubies magazine....yay!! It was so funny. I was flipping through it before reading it cover to cover and saw your picture!! I said "Oh wow...I know her!! She is from my blogs...I visit her blog!! How cool" I still need to read the article. Can't wait.

Later....

Chris

Connie said...

These little ones keep us on our toes and we learn so about ourselves at the same time.

You did great! More fun days ahead.

motherofmany said...

I just got home and in the mail was my Above Rubies magazine, and in there I found a familiar face!!!! And I remember reading those words from you- very wise words.

Blessings!

OurLilFullFam said...

You did good!!

I blew it today, but God's grace will cover me, and I get to explain it to my kids :)

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

Thank you everyone for your sweet comments!

God is good and as I am learning so full of grace for me as I continue to parent His children.

Grandma Becky said...

I love The Dalles. I was there recently, per my post, did you see it? Beautiful scenery there. They are actually putting houses there, oh my...oh well...and it's The Dalles dam, right? I thought it had another name for it.

Related Posts with Thumbnails