Friday, August 28, 2009

"Hooked" on History

These came out in the wrong order. When we went to Fort Vancouver, they had a blacksmithing demonstration. It was absolutely fascinating! We watched him make this decorative hook for Marcus.
He twisted, turned and punched a whole through the iron.

Here is one of the blacksmiths in his shop. He made all of the tools from scratch!


Of course, I had to tell them that my dad is a farrier. My dad doesn't make his own horseshoes, though! We learned that the Hudson Bay Company is still a company even today. Also, they hired children in England to make nails. They had their own little forge in their homes and that was a way they could earn money to help their families.
This was my favorite part of Fort Vancouver. It was a homeschooler's dream!



3 comments:

Cat said...

What a blessing you are interested in what your kids are. This looks fun, Stacie!

Amy said...

That looks like so much fun!!! I bet he loves his hook :)

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

That is so cool that they made him that hook. Makes me want to go there again someday. It HAS been awhile. Thanks for the interesting history lesson!

Related Posts with Thumbnails