Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Daniel Study

I just started back up my "Daniel" study by Beth Moore. I had stopped because I did not have the Audio CDs or DVDs for her sessions. I thought I could just wing it with the study book. I think I was missing out on about 1/3 of the lesson, so I purchased the Audio CDs. Boy, am I glad I did. They are POWERFUL!

As I was studying today about Babylon's culture in Revelation 18, I couldn't help but think how our own culture and society sounds so much like Babylon.

Here is a quote by Eugene Peterson that I wanted to share with you...

"We try to get (joy) through entertainment. We pay someone to make jokes, tell stories, perform dramatic actions, sing songs. We buy the vitality of another's imagination to divert and enliven our own poor lives. The enormous entertainment industry in America is a sign of the depletion of joy in our culture. Society is a bored, gluttonous king employing a court jester to divert it after an overindulgent meal. But that kind of joy never penetrates our lives, never changes our basic constitution. The effects are extremely temporary-A few minutes, a few hours, a few days at most. When we run of money, the joy trickles away."

I ask you, "How do his words strike a chord in you concerning our generation?" Tell me what you think!

4 comments:

Jessica said...

I've not done this study, but heard it's nothing short of excellent...I hope that's the case for you!

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

Oh, these words ring so true!

RaD said...

Hit the nail right on the head!

Suburban Simplicity said...

I totally agree with these words.

I heard Abbott Christopher Jamison speak this past march - he is the head of a monastery in England and he wrote a book about this very subject. In the book he talks about how finding happiness is fleeting it doesn't last and we just go looking for more and that is how so many people get caught up in various vices, etc.

He calls out several companies in the book who he feels are big culprits of perpetuating this.

So yes I totally agree - thanks for sharing those words it just reinforces what I've come to believe.

Sandra

Related Posts with Thumbnails