Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Mothering With Wisdom


Mothering with Wisdom



“If any man lacks wisdom, then he should ask for it.” –James 1:5

In my mothering journey, I have come to bumps in the road in which I had no idea what to do. Some of these issues have included potty training, disciplining, maintaining my peace in the midst of the chaos, and homeschooling my children. So what did I do when I got to this point? Did I cry, worry and fret over it? You bet! Was that God’s Will for me? No way!

The Bible says “If any man lacks wisdom, then he should ask for it.” After reading that verse, I now try my best to go to Him and ask Him for the wisdom that I need. Every time I think I have disciplining figured out, the child starts to change and it just doesn’t work anymore. I am having to constantly reexamine how I run my home to make everyone in my family have more peaceful surroundings. And in homeschooling (hah!) I have no clue what I’m doing as I continue to move forward in trying to educate my children in our home. If it weren’t for the grace and wisdom of God, I would fall flat on my face and fail everyday!

Cry out for wisdom, make her your friend! God will richly bless when you do. He gives it to you in abundance right when you need it. I know this so well. The most recent example I can think of is when God answered a specific prayer for wisdom. I was having trouble trying to figure out how to teach my oldest son in math and reading. We seemed to have hit a wall and just couldn’t move forward. I finally called out to God and asked Him for His wisdom and understanding so that I could teach my son more effectively. I knew something was wrong and that he might have some problems with learning these subjects. Two days after I uttered that prayer, God sends me a wonderfully gifted missionary who asks to take my son and evaluate him for learning disabilities because she needs to do this to help further her education. The best part was that it was absolutely FREE! She took him for 35 hours and gave me so many ideas of how to homeschool him more effectively and also reaffirmed some things that I had been seeing. Now instead of frustration and tears, we are having successful and tearless school days. It’s been wonderful! I thank God and praise Him for it. If only I would have asked Him sooner!

So the next time you feel like you’ve hit a wall and just don’t know what to do, ask Him what it is you are supposed to do. He created you and your child. He knows what is best and He will guide and lead you to do it. He will give you the resources to supply you with all your needs in Christ Jesus.

Look up, pray, and wait expectantly!

From One Mom to Another,
Stacie

7 comments:

Parsley said...

Thanks for this post. We begin school Monday. We've had problems in math and student attitudes toward learning certain subjects. I do need this wisdom.

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

Always a great reminder, Stace.

Cat said...

You know, even at this stage in my mother career with adult children ages 39 and 37 I STILL ask God for wisdom in how to guide them. We are always an example even if they are not directly under our authority. I love that God honors the request for wisdom quickly and brilliantly. Way to go Stacie!

Amy said...

Hi Stacie - do you remember me? We knew you about 5 or 6 kids ago! ;-)
Thank you for sharing this - a very timely reminder for me!
I'm glad I found your blog (via Jennifer Smetzer's blog)

candy said...

Thank you Stacie and Cathrine I to have older kids and grandkids that I get to help raise (caregiver). I do go to God for help but not as often as I should.Yesterday I opened my BIG insensitive mouth and hurt my daughter I asked her to forgive me and all is well. But please don't ever think you are better at raising someone elses kids, God did not give you that gift. Thank you for letting me vent I think God wanted me to say that for someoneand myself.

RaD said...

Awesome post as usual. Thank you for that reminder! I always look forward to your devotional posts. Have you ever thought of publishing them?

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

Thank you everyone for your comments. You are such a blessing to me.

Amy, I found your site and left a comment there. Glad you found me!

Ruth,

I have been published in "Above Rubies" and "An Encouraging Word" magazines. I feel like the blog is kind of like publishing, too. At least it is there if people want to go back and read them.

Related Posts with Thumbnails