Thursday, June 18, 2009

Seeing Us Serve



Seeing Us Serve

Dear Mothers,

The other day my son was watching me prepare food. I had been working all morning doing my normal chores when he said something that really got me thinking. He said, “Mom, you work really hard don’t you? You don’t play a lot, do you?” Then he asked, “Mom, are you a slave?” It caught me off guard, but I thought this could be a real teachable moment. So, I agreed with him, “Yes, I do work hard and no, I don’t get to play a lot.” I went on to explain that I am a servant not a slave. Although I do not have a job outside the home like his daddy, my job is here in my home. I told him that it is hard work caring for and feeding my family, but that is the job that God has given me. After this conversation I really started thinking about how my children view me.

Are my children seeing me serve them with a resentful, unkind attitude? I want them to see me serving my family with a loving, kind, and patient heart. I want to be like Jesus and show them that service is what God has put us on this earth to do. We are commanded to serve one another!

This concept of serving starts with our families, doesn’t it? How are we doing in this area? Are we serving our husbands with this same attitude? When he asks us to do something for him as he walks out the door to go to work, are we going to obey cheerfully, or are we going to grumble and complain about it or choose not to do it at all?

Are we going to start resenting that mountain of laundry, that pile of dishes, and those dirty floors? Mothers this is our job. We need to except it, stop trying to get out of it, and move on! Let’s commit to the Lord to do the best we can do. That is all He requires. He doesn’t say that we need to have a home that looks like it could be in a magazine. Our homes are lived in!

God has given us these precious children! Are we training them to serve with a cheerful heart? I think of a little song that I learned in Sunday school, it says, “If you want to be great in God’s Kingdom, learn to be the servant of all.” Let’s pray that we can be the best example that our children see of having a surrendered, serving heart like Jesus. Now that would be “service with a smile”!

From one Mom to Another,

5 comments:

Cat said...

You go, girl! I am beginning a new phase today, and I'll keep your advice in my heart. Thank you.

squene

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

Great reminder, Stace! I needed to hear this today.

A.D said...

Thank you for the reminder! many blessings to you Stace

Anonymous said...

This is a great reminder and something we may forget when we are in the moment. I really enjoy your blog and will be passing it on to my sister who is the wife of a firefighter. I think she would enjoy your posts.

I also would like to take the opportunity to share some information with you that I recently came across.

This innovative fundraising idea was started by John Nagele a former police offer and EMT. During his years of service he saw fellow cops and fireman injured on the job and in turn saw the tough times their families went through. Because of this, he felt the need to start this organization that has raised as much as $12,000 to help people in need. The goal for this organization is to help get cash money into the hands of families who have suffered the tragic loss of a loved one. If you or your readers would like more information they can visit the website at http://HonoringHeroes.com

I know this is not the topic of your post, but felt the information was important to share.

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

Thank you for your comments. I have heard of the fund and I think it is a wonderful way of honoring the victims. Maybe I will put as one of my links.

Related Posts with Thumbnails