Thursday, June 11, 2009

Pioneer Graveyard Homeschool Field Trip

I know this sounds a little strange, but last week I took the kids on a field trip to an old pioneer cemetery. Every time we drive by it on the way to Nana and Papa's they beg to stop and see it.
We know some Hannas. They must be related to this pioneer. It ended up being a great math and reading lesson. They kept asking me how old everyone was, so I helped them figure it out in their heads. Also, they got better at reading cursive as they read the epitaphs. They were so excited when they found someone who was a Christian!
We were all saddened at the amount of children and babies. Sometimes groups of siblings were wiped out within a month. I'm so grateful for the medicines we have now. I kept picturing mothers and fathers standing by these graves and weeping for their children who are no more. It is humbling and it made me appreciate my family and must being alive even more.
I tried to get the kids all together for a photo, but this is how it turned out. Josh is so sweet, he is trying to be respectful of the dead.
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Rachel and Family said...

How cool! It may be morbid, but I love cemetaries.. we've been to the one here by the college, but I didn't know there was one in Dufur. Where is it??

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

It's on the righthand side of the HWY right before you get to Dufur. Can't miss it!

Cat said...

There is a sweet pioneer cemetery on the way up to Sorosis Park. Rene Hunley knows all about it. She is a wonderful realtor in your town. That would be a fun trip too!

krocary

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

This is something I've been wanting to do with Josiah. I've never been to the Dufur cemetery. Very interesting. It always makes me sad at the amount of children and babies that didn't survive. We have it so good today.

Related Posts with Thumbnails