Sunday, May 24, 2009

Samoan Luau For Jessica's Sixth Birthday

Every other year as a homeschooling project I tell the kids that they we will have a "culture party". We pick a culture and study it for a year. Then we gather friends and family and have a party with all the ethnic foods, costumes, dance, music and decorations. The first one we did was a German party. It turned out to be a hit! This year it was to be between Japan and Samoa. We voted and the kids chose Samoa. Unfortunately, due to having a baby, I didn't get the language in. But we watched videos and talked with a friend who is Samoan to get some ideas and learn more about their culture. So I ended throwing a Luau for Jessica for her sixth birthday. We found her little skirt for 50 cents at a thrift store. Rachel, Mom and I bought decorations and it didn't looks too tacky. We didn't have any Samoan music, so I got a video from the library on Samoa. I played it with the volume off during the whole party, so that people could get a feel for the culture (tattooing, dancing, foods, and so on). I think people enjoyed watching it in between conversations.
I love this picture of Jackie. She looks so pretty! Mom brought little umbrellas to put in the strawberry lemonade.
I had little banners and shiny palm trees on the deck, with these totem murals.
Lily and I. So what will we do next time? Hmmm, the kids have thrown out, China, Japan, Czech Republic, Mexican and Spain.
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

candy said...

Looks like such a fun birthday party. Everybody had a great time. Sorry I missed it. That pork looks wonderful.

Cat said...

You sure know how to celebrate! I'd like to have been there, Stacie. Everyone looks so happy too.

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

Everyone said they had a great time! We were happy. I was really relaxed and had everything I could get done ahead of time, done. We were actually planting flowers before the party because we had time!

Rachel and Family said...

Look at all those pretty ladies!
We had such a great time!! Thanks so much for it!!

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

Thanks for hosting, Stace! It was a blast. I just loved themed parties. They are the best! Now we gotta start planning the boys' WWII birthday party in September. Good thing we can kill three birds with one stone on that one!

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

WW II, here we come!

Related Posts with Thumbnails