Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Consider It Pure Joy




This is a devotion that a did about three years ago. It was a good reminder for me as I reread it. I thought I would share it with you...


Consider it Pure Joy!

Dear Mothers,

“Consider it pure joy when you, my brothers (and sisters), whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.” –James 1:2-4

I don’t know about you but it can be extremely difficult to find the joy in trials. I am learning (slowly, but surely) that when those trials come to not freak out and panic as much as I used too. I am trying to lift them up immediately to the Lord and look for what He might be teaching me through them.

Last Sunday, God gave me a wonderful example of this to share with you. Some of you may have heard it already (I can’t shut up about it, tee, hee!), but oh well, you’ll just have to hear it again! I was running a short errand in between the Sunday school hour and the worship hour. I was driving down Columbia View Drive and at the bottom of the hill everything went out on my car (power steering, brakes, and engine). Smoke started coming out of the hood. I was scared! I was stuck in the middle of the road and I didn’t have a clue of what to do. God graciously surrounded me with believers (from other churches) who told me to pray and was actually quoting me Scripture! It was amazing! They took care of all my needs, from getting the car off to the side of the road to telling me that it was my alternator that went out, to giving the kids and I a ride back up to the church. I was so thankful! To make a long story short, my fellow Brothers in Christ helped me and surprised me by handing me the keys to my Suburban and telling me that it was all fixed! They went and installed an alternator for me in an hour and a half! They saved me a towing bill, a mechanic’s bill, and the inconvenience of having our only rig that can hold all of us in the shop! I’m still in shock!

The lesson here is that instead of panicking and thinking that “How could God let this happen to me”; I turned to him and started praising Him for His goodness and thanking Him for providing for my needs. I was not left stranded beside the road! I was not stuck with a bill that I could not pay! Not to mention that if this trial wouldn’t have happened, I wouldn’t have been completely and utterly blessed by all the brothers and sisters in Christ that came together to help me! That’s why God gave us the body! To build each other up and to meet each other’s needs.

So next time that trial comes, dear mothers, pay attention, start praising, and start looking for how God is going to meet you where you are at!

From One Mom to Another,Stacie

4 comments:

Timmy's Girl said...

Stacie,

Thanks for visiting my blog and commenting! It is such a blessing to find another mama of 6 and an Above Rubies girl, to boot!

I'll be following you and your precious family!!
xoxo, Veronica in CA

OurLilFullFam said...

Stacie!!!

How wonderful!!!

I know what you mean though, a little while ago my van broke and that was my first reacion too,,freaking out. I am so thankful for God's wonderful protection!

Stephanie

Cat said...

It is like Beth Moore says in her 'Patriarchs' Bible study: We want to pass all of the tests God gives us with an 'A'; a 'C' means we will be tested over the same material AGAIN! I know you are passing tests with A+'s, Stacie!!

Jessica said...

This is amazing! It should be the norm, but it is really wonderous! So glad for the safety of you and your family and the reminder of God's awesomeness!

Related Posts with Thumbnails