Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Building Character

Building Character

Dear Mothers,

A wise woman once said, "While we're focused on building character in our children, God is focused on building character in us."

"Maybe it's perseverance - we can't give up on them. Maybe it's patience - no one guarantees immediate results. Maybe it's humility - lest any man should boast! Maybe it's contentment - learning not to envy that mom down the street whose kids seem to have it all together. Maybe it's dependability - truly showing our children that we'll stick with them even when their behavior breaks our hearts. Maybe it's dying to self - doing what needs to be done, even when we don't want to. Like oh say. . . playing a board game with your kids when you'd rather read a book by yourself. (Ouch stepping on my OWN toes now.)And maybe it's for God to continue to grow our faith in Him, to truly remind us to walk by faith and not by sight. When we see what God can do in our children's lives in spite of all of our mistakes and shortcomings (both parents and children), we are reminded that truly it IS all about Him. It's not always easy, but it is about Him"

These words are from a homeschool mother, Nancy Carter. I admire her honestly and frankness as well as her vulnerability.

When we are having those horrific days of what seems to be chaos and madness, remember that God is using these children and sometimes difficult situations to refine us and build our own character. When we see anger spewing out of our children’s mouths and recognize our own voice, it hopefully makes us stop, repent to God and ask for His gracious forgiveness to cover our own sins. We are quick to point out our children’s faults, but are we as quick to admit our own?

This is something to think about. God loves US as much as He loves our children. He wants our impurities to be brought to the surface so we can impart our newly found wisdom or character change upon our children. It’s a win-win situation!

Don’t avoid those character-building moments, embrace them and you will be made whole!

From One Mom to Another,

Stacie

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

Thanks for the encouragement.

Candy said...

Good word! I struggle with that "we are quick to point out our childrens faults" My SIL,Monique used to call it PLANK EYE. I need to remember that on those moments when I have all the answers, It's my way. I'm the fix it person. How can God work in me if I'm so righteous. Thanks Stacie, I'm going on my knees now. Love you.

Toni Floyd said...

Oooooh...that hit the mark! I'm reminded, I'm encouraged, and humbled! Thanks for the honesty of your own life, too. Toni

OurLilFullFam said...

Oh man, that is so true, especially when the kids start saying to each other "I swear if you do that again" Uh, that is what I say when I get mad and boy does it sound ugly coming from their mouths.

Thanks for this!

Stephanie

Related Posts with Thumbnails