Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Baby Jail


Baby Jail

When I was pregnant with my first child I decided I wanted to try nursing him because I heard it was better for babies. No one in my family had ever breastfed, so I had no idea what I was doing. When he was born, I was still not sure, but new it was the best thing for him. I didn’t like it though because I felt trapped and I used to refer to nursing as being in “baby jail”. I wanted to be free to go out and do things without a baby attached to me. I wanted my husband to be able to feed with a bottle, so I introduced a bottle right away. I also decided that I would only nurse for six months, thinking that they were lucky to get that much.

I continued this pattern and attitude with the next two children as well. I would even refuse to feed them if it hadn’t been a standard 2 hour wait. I thought I would spoil them if I gave into their cries.

While I was pregnant with my fourth child I read “Power of Motherhood” by Nancy Campbell. When I got to the part about breastfeeding, I was totally convicted.

Isaiah 66:10-13 says this: “Rejoice with Jerusalem and be glad for her, all you who love her; rejoice greatly with her all you who mourn over her. For you will nurse and be satisfied at her comforting breasts; you will drink deeply and delight in her overflowing abundance.’ For this is what the Lord says: ‘I will extend peace to her like a river, and the wealth of the nations like a flooding stream; you will nurse and be carried on her arm and dandled on her knees. As a mother comforts her child, so will I comfort you; and you will be comforted over Jerusalem.”

I repented of my “baby jail” attitude and thanked God that He designed me to feed my own child. As I read all the benefits of extended breastfeeding, I decided I would try to nurse a full year with this next child. I also changed my thinking about the reasons why I nursed. I would now nurse for comfort, instead of just nourishment every two hours. Wow, what a difference it made with my little one! He was happier and our whole family benefited from the peace that pervaded our home! He was so much more content then my other babies were.

I am now happily breastfeeding my sixth child! When I am nursing, I have the best excuse to sit down and pray over my family, or read a snippet of God’s Word that helps me get through the busy days! I still can’t believe I considered this to be “jail”! If it is “jail” let me stay in it!

Now I know many mothers are unable to breastfeed. My heart goes out to you, because I know many of you have faithfully pumped and tried breastfeeding to no avail. This is not meant to make you feel guilty, but to encourage mothers who CAN breastfeed to at least consider its benefits.

13 comments:

CB said...

I am in baby jail & I love it :) LOL My little one is such a joy & is so easy because he has total access :) EVEN AT NIGHT...i never hang up the "closed" sign :) hee hee

I love the pictures, you look so amazing & your sweet baby girl makes me want another baby (girl). She looks so CUTE in all that pink! I miss dressing a baby girl. It's just so much more fun, hee hee!

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

It is more fun! Jess and I love to look at the girl baby clothes when we go to the store!

Amy said...

What a great post. I did not breastfeed my first but tried with the other two and was not very succesful. If I would have known then that it just takes some time I may have stuck with it. A good friend of mine just had her third a week ago and is in misery because she is producing too much milk and has some seriously cracked nipples. Any advice you have would be greatly appreciated!!! Lily is so beautiful!!! Keep the pictures coming :)

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

Amy,

The best thing I ever did for cracked and sore nipples is buy "Lansinoh" lanolin. Put it on before and after you breastfeed. I do this everytime I have a baby and am not sore after two days. It is amazing stuff. It is in a purple tube.

Also, make sure that baby is latched on correctly! If she isn't it is a recipe for sore and bleeding nipples.

Cat said...

You both look exceedingly happy. I KNOW you are doing well by your new attitude and way of dealing with baby issues. YOU! are a wonderful mom, Stacie. Congratulations on YOUR growth!!!

Rachel and Family said...

Okay, Lily looks great for sure!

But, Stacie, you look terrific! I LOVE your blouse!! That pink color lights you up! You look beautiful! Now I want your baby AND that blouse!! (tee!hee!) I think I almost bought one like that at JcPenney the other day. You found such great deals that I went and found some for me. I kept looking at a shirt just like that. Is that the one?

I love nursing and I love your testimony. In fact I think nursing is WAAAAY easier than bottles and washing and having to remember to bring it with you. I know I'll never leave my chest behind!

OurLilFullFam said...

I love baby jail too! I was determined by my third not to give any bottles and she never had one.

I know what you mean, finding joy in how God created our bodies to nourish and comfort our babies.

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

I love Lily's dress and that shirt you're wearing is adorable!

The lanolin worked great for me, too. Thanks for recommending it!

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

Rachel,

Yep, that is the same shirt at JcPenny's. We have good taste, don't we?

I never did give Jacob a bottle. He went straight to a sippy cup. I loved it! I think it is way easier.

Toni Floyd said...

Hi Stacie! When I counted up all the months that I've spent breastfeeding my 5 babies it came to almost 5 years!!! (58 months to be exact) From a medical standpoint, I hear breastfeeding is beneficial to the mother's bodies as well. It's healthy for mommy and baby!

Robin said...

Life is a continual process of changing our attitudes and thoughts.

I agree that breatfeeding is precious. Wish I had been able to do it longer than a week. oh well...stuff happens.

OH - I forgot to say that I saw you were "published" in one of Skeet Savage's magazines. I had to say "I know her!" :)

Candy said...

You look beautiful!!! You always bounce right back after having a baby. I'm so very proud of you, you are such a wonderful mom. Rachel should be having her little one soon,right? How is she doing? She is another very beautiful mom.
Hey what is this Skeet savage mag. I've never heard of it. I'd like to read it. How is your Pastor doing? Love you

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

An Encouraging Word is the name of the magazine. I'll get it to you when I get my copy. They are very good and very challenging if you are interested in holy living.

Related Posts with Thumbnails