Saturday, March 7, 2009

Stacie's New England Clam Chowder


Stacie's New England Clam Chowder

2 cans 6 oz cans of minced clams
4 slices of bacon
3 cups of potatoes (peeled or not)
1 cup chopped onion
1 tsp chicken bouillon granules
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1/4 tsp thyme (I prefer fresh)
1/8 tsp pepper
3 cups of milk
2 TBS of flour

Directions: Open clams and drain juice into a big pot. Set clams aside. Then add potatoes. Cover potatoes with just enough water. Add the bouillon. Add thyme, Worcestershire sauce and pepper. Simmer the potatoes in the juice and broth till tender. I cover the pot to do this. In another pan cook bacon till crisp. Use about 2 TBS of the drippings to saute the onion up. Add flour and mix well. It will be really thick. Mix into the tender potato mixture, should thicken it up. Then add the milk. Stir until bubbly. Last add the clams and bacon. Salt to taste.

I serve with some homemade rolls.

The key to this recipe is simmering those potatoes in the juice and broth. It just soaks into them and makes them delicious!

I usually double or triple this recipe for the size of our family.

5 comments:

Robin said...

I'm printing out this one to try.

We all love clam chowder.

Rachel said...

Stacie, I love this recipe. I've made clam chowder with canned clams once before and once cooked the clams were all greenish. (I am NOT kidding!) It was not so pleasant to look at. I have been scared to make it again. Does your clam chowder turn colors? Or does it stay nice and white?

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

Stacie makes wonderful clam chowder. I insisted she post this recipe.

Thanks, Stace! I'm trying it out today. I hope I can make it taste as good as yours.

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

Mine stays white!

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

I just made this, Stace. I quadrupled the recipe and it turned out yummy. I added zucchini and yellow squash (can't even taste it). I also julienned (sp?) my potatoes in the food processor and the texture was fine. I was worried it would turn out weird. I just wish I would have added more clams and bacon. Maybe I'll doctor it later. Thanks again for posting this. It is so much better than the recipe I was using.

Related Posts with Thumbnails