Thursday, February 5, 2009

Sickness and Blessings

I think I'm coming down with a cold. I'm not surprised being around all the sick kiddos. I was supposed to sing this Sunday at church, but now am wondering if I should just cancel it. This always seems to happen to me. I am glad the little ones are doing much better.

On a brighter note, we got our taxes done and will be able to pay off the bunk beds and mattresses for the kids and pay for Trudy to help Josh throughout this year and hopefully next year. We will also be able to put some more money into a CD towards a 15 passenger van that someday we plan to get. The Suburban will be completely full when this little one arrives.

The funniest thing happened while I was getting the taxes prepared. The lady who prepares them couldn't find how to add more slots for dependents. She kept chuckling to herself and said "I've never had this problem". She had never dealt with anyone who had more than four dependents! Crazy! When she found out we homeschooled she was very supportive.

I also used the last of my solo money to take Jessica and Marcus to the tea parlor. They did really well and the owner, Bev, complimented them on their tea parlor manners. I'd been promising Marcus since his birthday in September to go, and hadn't gotten around to it. They both thanked me profusely. It was sweet.

I watched a great video yesterday on "How to Motivate Your Kids". I am now really confused because it had some great points, but it also had some things that I don't think are very Biblical (no punishment, no rewards, don't let them know you are disappointed in them). It is something that I am going to have to take some and leave some. I did learn more about Josh's personality and what motivates him, so I'll be focusing on that right now. I am praying about the whole thing. If I can do what I'm doing better and have it be less conflict and less arguments, then I'm willing to look at it from a different angle and try something new. I just need to have the wisdom of what things need to change. Can I whine here? Being a parent is Haaaaaard!!!!

A friend, Brenda took Josh, Marcus and Jess after AWANA last night to spend the night in Wamic (about 50 minutes away). They have four children very similar to our kid's ages. They will bring them back today. I'm so excited for them. They don't get to spend the night at other people's houses very often, so this is a real treat! Thanks, Brenda!

I'm going to let Andrew pick out what he wants for breakfast, since it's just him and Jaker's Man.

Steve and I were able to talk for about an hour or so last night after the kids went to bed. I love our talks. We talk about our goals for the future, our financial status, how we can do better, ect. Also, he talks a lot about his work and I listen. I do like to hear about it. I'm glad I don't have a husband that never likes to talk. He isn't addicted to sports, either. He and I have been reading the same books (which is unusual), so we've had lots to discuss. He's working on "Beyond Mormonism" right now, which is an excellent book written by an ex-elder of the Mormon church. We have also read William and Catherine Booth's biography, and "Same Kind of Different as Me." It's great to see him getting into Christian books!

I can't sleep, it's about 3 a.m. now. I think I'll go try to read a Focus on the Family magazine or something. I keep having contractions and they keep me awake at night. The only way to get them to go away is by drinking water, then that makes me have to go to the bathroom every 45 minutes or so. It's kind of a catch 22.

BTW, thanks for all the great comments! Blogging has been such a source of encouragement to me. It makes me feel like I'm making a difference in people's lives even from my home. It's nice to know I have a ministry to you ladies. I don't take it lightly and I pray for you often. I pray that God will continue to bless this blog as I did the day He laid it on my heart to start it. May He be glorified in all that I do, say and write!

6 comments:

Cat said...

Speaking of not sleeping, I'm up at 4 to comment! I'm so glad you and Steve are able to converse about your lives. We have been picking up on that activity a little too, and I find it so satisfying. You do a great job keeping us up on what's going on in your life, Stacie. Reading about it nurishes my longing for you. A phone conversation IS in our future soon, though.

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

I was thinking the same thing this morning. If all goes well, I will try to call you after your done homeschooling.

Cat said...

Today is not a good day. I have Bible Study in the studio, Lovella's crew coming for an early dinner, then Esther with Lovella out here, but tomorrow I'll have only 2 kids. Let's set a time between 7 and 11 to talk if you can. I can give the kids the Scrambled States of America game to play. And, if you don't have that one for your kiddos, it is a must! We love it!!! (masuipta)

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

I sure hope you get to feeling better soon. The kids seemed to get over whatever they had very quickly, hope yours do, too. I finally got a good night sleep last night. I was beginning to think I was having twin sympathy insomnia.

CB said...

Just want to say, I also had to drink tons of water at night-time & had the same dilemma of having to go to the bathroom. Being preggo is SO much fun, isn't it? LOL I guess it's worth it having to get up, got be so hydrated & not contracting ?? I don't know, but I was SO thirsty that I always opted to drink up! I hope you start getting better sleep soon!!!

Summer V. said...

It interesting to read that you are trying to learn what works best for each of your children when it comes to discipline, not just working on a blanket solution to all your kiddos. Kudos on that plan!

Related Posts with Thumbnails