Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Loving the Unlovable

I recieved this in an email from The Old Schoolhouse Magazine. I just loved what this little devotion had to say and was convicted.

"Loving the Unlovable"

By: The Familyman Todd Wilson, Familyman Ministries

Loving the unlovable can be broken down into two camps: those who live outside your home and those who live inside your home. The first group is sometimes hard to love (and I'm betting the other writers above me have addressed that group), but the second group is about ten times harder to love.


I'm not sure why it's so hard to love those sometimes-unlovable people in our house, but it is. Maybe it's because it's just so daily. We can't escape them. We wake up and they're grumpy, we eat lunch and they're grumpy, we gather for dinner and they're grumpy, and they go to bed grumpy.


We pray and ask God to help us love them unconditionally and then hope that they will be supernaturally transformed during the night.
"Good morning, Honey," we say cheerfully to said unlovable.

"What's good about it?" they respond gloomily.
Here we go again.

We're tempted to inwardly think, "That's it. I'm done trying . . . I just can't be nice to you." But that's exactly when God whispers back, "Wives, love your husbands . . . Husbands love your wives . . . Parents love your children . . . Love your neighbors . . . Love your enemies . . . Love those who persecute you . . . Love those who mess up your house, wake up grumpy, and fall in the "unlovable-camp".

So, Mom and Dad, tighten your belt, roll up your sleeves and keep praying for endurance, patience, and for the ability to love unconditionally. Don't just pray for their change . . . but also for yours.



Usually, when an unlovable is being unlovable, they need extra attention and grace. I know that's the last thing you WANT to give them . . . but it's what they need. And remember this: sometimes you belong to the group of unlovables.
It ain't easy, but then again, love never is.


Be Real,

Todd

7 comments:

Cat said...

"Loving Well" is the name of the retreat my church is putting on this Saturday. It is a Beth Moore that we got when we saw her in Boise. It addresses this very topic! Somehow we always end up on the same page, Stacie.

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

Oh, I hope you have so much fun and learn tons!

I love the way God guides His children!

Amy said...

I need a huge lesson in this!! Thanks for another great inspirational post :)

I have a question that is totally off the subject...

I am wondering if you think I would be able to use your homemade bread recipe with these changes:

Instead of WW flour using regular flour (I don't have any WW flour and I really want to try this today).

No Gluten (again don't have it)

I plan on using my Kitchenaid mixer with the dough hook, letting it rise, punching it down and then putting it in the loaf pans to rise and bake.

What do you think?????

CB said...

Amen, sometimes it "is" me in the unlovable group, LOL!! That is so true, it's amazing how easy it is to play the blame game & not realize how "difficult" you are being! Love love love LOVE!! That's what we have to do & keep ever before us, it starts with truly loving the Lord & showing Him daily!!!

Naomi said...

Oh I needed this lesson right now right here. Thanks for sharing it Stace.

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

Amy, yes you can use white flour and no gluton. It is actually a French Bread recipe that I tweaked to be a little healthier! I hope it turns out yummy!

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

This spoke to me as well. There are two of my children that sometimes just drive me batty and I don't feel very loving. It is in my face all day long and I can't escape it. I think it is easier to love those on the outside of the family unit, because you can get away from them! You can't get away from your family, especially if you homeschool.

Related Posts with Thumbnails