Sunday, January 25, 2009

Surrender





I just finished reading a book called "William and Catherine Booth: Founders of The Salvation Army". It was put out by Heroes of the Faith. At the very end there was a quote by William Booth that just struck me. I just wanted to share it with you.

Dr. Wilbur Chapman had an interview will General William Booth on one of his last visits to the United States and asked him a profound question.

He said, "General Booth, tell me what has been the secret of your success all the way through."

The General hesitated a second and with tears running down his cheeks he replied, "I will tell you the secret. God has had all of me...I made up my mind that God would have all of William Booth there was."

The man later quoted, "I learned from William Booth that the greatness of a man's power is the measure of his surrender. It is not a question of who you are or of what you are, but of whether God controls you."

May it be so in my life, God! May You be in control of everything in my life, from my marriage, my parenting, my homeschooling, the size of our family, our outside ministries, my writing, and my singing. O God, take it all! Be the center of it all, lead and guide Steve and I in the way You would have us go. Give us the strength to follow You, wherever You might lead us.

"I surrender all,
I surrender all,
Unto You my blessed, Savior;
I surrender all."

7 comments:

Cat said...

Blessed reminders from friends on the same journey keep us all together, going in the right direction, encouraged and profoundly moved to increase the depth of our own journey. Thank you for the scenic tour!

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

Wow, Catherine, that was deep! Thanks! You are such an elequont writer.

Rachel said...

I, of course, was so glad you read that! wink, wink! I don't think I've read that one. We have a picture up of William in our chapel foyer. Hannah is always calling it "grandpa" because of the big old beard, like my dad. It's hilarious. The kids at church (inlcuding my own) egg her on to do it too! I will drop by the Catherine Booth book this morning along with Marcus' coat. She is my heroine! She was a WOMAN of God to the core- a wife, a mother, and "mother of the Army". Not just some woman trying to make it in a man's world by being like a man!

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

Save that book for me, I'd like to read it, OK?

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

You gave it to me, Jack! Was it the Bloodgoods or something? I'll save it for you.

CB said...

This is awesome! You are a blessing!

Anonymous said...

Hi fellow firefighter wife! I stumbled upon your site. Please visit us at www.FireWives.com It is a new site specifically designed for firefighter wives. Please help us spread the word.

Blessings!
Angela :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails