Sunday, January 11, 2009

Our Pastor is Gravely Ill

When we got the fridge on Friday from Pastor Steve, he mentioned that he hadn't been feeling well for about four months and had got some tests done that morning. You could tell he was trying not to worry, but he mentioned that it could be lymphoma. We told him we would pray for him and did.

This morning at church, Steve and I both noticed that Pastor Steve wasn't in church. We both thought that wasn't a good sign. When the head of the deacons who is also Pastor Steve's surgeon got up and started getting choked up, we knew the news was not good. The results are not officially in, but I'm pretty sure that they think it is cancer. He said he was "gravely ill" and that he and his wife and taken the weekend off so that they could process the information. He said by Tuesday they will hopefully have an official diagnosis and that he would immediately have surgery and then extensive long-term treatment (I'm sure that is code for chemo).

The congregation was in shock. They skipped all formalities and just went into prayer. It was a beautiful thing to see the body do what we are supposed to do, pray and read scripture over the family.

Our kids LOVE Pastor Steve. Josh was very quiet and I could tell upset.

Please pray for Pastor Steve and Marilyn. This is so tough. We are trusting God no matter what the outcome might be. But in the meantime, they need a special measure of God's comfort as they process this kind of information.

I will keep you updated as soon as I get more information.

4 comments:

Amy said...

Your Pastor and his wife will be in our prayers. I'm so sorry you have to go through this with someone you care so much about.

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

What a shock. I'm so sorry to hear this. He is such a wonderful man. I'm praying for his complete recovery and that God will be glorified through his illness. I'm also praying for your church during this time. I feel terribly for you guys.

Cat said...

This is pretty devastating news, Stacie. I'm so sorry for all of you who love this man. I will pray for him too, as well as you and your church.

Rachel said...

I am praying. He's not very old either. How terrible.

Related Posts with Thumbnails