Sunday, January 4, 2009

Humble Mothering

Humble Mothering

Dear Mothers,

I read a wonderful article by Maranatha Chapman called, “A Mother’s Rights”. I am going to try to condense it down for you so that this will stay a “minute devotion”. I know many of you are busy and it is all you can do to sit down and read this! Please know these are not my words, but the words of a mother who is called to minister encouragement to other moms.

When we compare ourselves with others, we think, “They don’t have to deal with what I have to,” or, “She’s the perfect mom, why can’t I be?” It is good to learn from others, but we are foolish and “without understanding” when we compare ourselves with others (2 Corinthians 10:12). All of us have to deal with these same types of things, but God has made “a way of escape” (1 Corinthians 10:13). So if motherhood is a struggle for you or if it is a fight of faith every single day and you have to call out to the LORD all day everyday day, then that probably means that you are doing something right! Remember God’s promise: Let us not lose heart in doing good, for in due time we will reap if we do not grow weary (Galatians 6:9)! What will we reap as we persevere in “doing good” as mother? An abundance of His grace and life flowing through us to our families.

But if you have something in you that says, “Hey, I’m doing pretty good” or “I’ve got everything under control,” I encourage you to really look at the source of these attitudes because “God is opposed to the proud” and only “gives grace to the humble (James 4:6). If we see ourselves accurately-from God’s perspective-then we know beyond doubt that the only thing that makes us anything is because we are walking miracles of His grace and redemption. And for the sake of our children, we cannot afford the attitudes of “It really does not matter how we do this” or “Everything will turn out just fine” as we haphazardly proceed on through our child-rearing years, seeking the path of least resistance and minimal expenditure of our life. We need to be sober and keep in our face the reality that what we do now will affect our children later. If we humble ourselves and cry out to God, He really will help us and give us the grace we need, just as He promised. He really will make a way for us in this hugely important responsibility, but to walk in His way requires us, on our part, to live every day by waking up, looking to Him in faith, and saying “LORD, I can’t, but You can through me. This day is too big for me, and I don’t know what all my family needs today, but You do, LORD, and I trust You to show me” God gave you the home you have and the children you have, and He will give you what you need to run your home and mother your children (Philippians 4:13).

Wow! I don’t know about you, but that challenges me! I want to stop comparing myself to other mothers and just be what God wants me to be. I also need to quit comparing my children with other children. Every child is unique. I need to mother each one of my children humbly and according to God’s Will.

May God bless you abundantly as you humbly lean on God instead of your own human understanding.

From One Mom to Another,

Stacie

2 comments:

Cat said...

Great devotion, Stacie. Thank you for placing it before us!

OurLilFullFam said...

I love this! Very thought provoking indeed!

Do you mind if I post this on my blog?

Related Posts with Thumbnails