Monday, January 26, 2009

Discipline is Not Pleasant


I found this in my files today. I was having a really hard morning with Joshua over homeschooling and I just prayed and prayed and cried and prayed that God would give me encouragement. He answered me by reading this over again. This happened about a year or two ago. I can't quite remember.

Victorious Conversation

Josh and I had a very good discussion yesterday. He was upset because he had been talking back and I popped him in the mouth. He wanted to know why discipline has to be so painful. I told him “because it is the only way that I can get him to remember not to do something.” I said that the Bible says it is supposed to be painful.

He didn’t believe me so I went to Hebrews. I showed him where it said that “although discipline is unpleasant and even painful for awhile it will produce a harvest of righteousness and peace.” He said he didn’t know what that meant. I explained that “it means that you will grow up to be good and to do good things for God and that you would be at peace because of undergoing discipline.”
He seemed angry still but got up and finished doing the dishes like I had asked him to do. He must have thought about it for awhile because he came back into the dining room where I was sitting and said, “Mom, I’m sorry.” I said, “For what, Josh?”

He said, “I’m sorry for talking back to you and being rude.”

I could tell he was trying so hard not to cry. I started to tear up (it had been a long and hard day of disciplining and imploring God for wisdom). I told him that I wouldn't discipline him if I didn’t love him. I wanted him to grow up to be a wonderful person and not just some mean bratty kid.

He then grabbed something to wipe the tear running down my cheek and asked me not to cry. I asked him why he didn’t want me to cry, and his answer was so precious. He said, “Because it’s so cute.”

I just hugged him and told him, sometimes it’s OK to cry. I told him that I am his parent and not his friend. But that the goal for when he is not longer living with us is to be friends. I told him that I wanted him to come visit me and that I wanted him to have the relationship that I have with my parents.

The cool thing is, I think he got it! I told him that we might fight but it is so important that we talk and work it out.

It was a good evening! I felt that God accomplished something in the heart of my oldest son.
I'm so glad I write this stuff down. I would have forgotten all about that incident in the busyness of life. Thank you, Lord, for once again answering my prayers and bringing me encouragement when I needed it. I am reminded once again, "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."

4 comments:

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

I remember that incident, Stace. I'm glad you are writing it down, too. Love you. It's been a hard day around here, too. I'll pray for you and I know you'll be praying for me. Love Ya, Sis!

Cat said...

I recall this too, I wish you'd dated it when you wrote it down, but there is always next time. I love the new look on your page, it is very calming. Things in many arenas go well today. You know what I mean, I'm sure.

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

I forgot to mention that I really love the picture at the beginning of this post.

CB said...

I took out my little books of letters I write to the kids the other day & read a few to my oldest & the stories in them are so funny & I didn't remember any of it! I never thought I'd forget, but I have! So, I started my lil' books for the younger babies too & am going to try to write them lots of letters too. They grow up so very fast & how wonderful to read of these incidents later!

Related Posts with Thumbnails