Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Doing What is Good Devotion

2007

Doing What Is Good

Dear Mothers,

I just read this verse while doing my devotions, “Remind the people to be subject to rulers and authorities, to be obedient, to be ready to do whatever is good, to slander no one, to be peaceable and considerate, and to show true humility toward all men.”-Titus 3:1-2. I spoke to God about it and it struck me that this is the very thing that I have been trying to teach my children day in and day out.

I am continually reminding my children that they are “subject to rulers and authorities”. When they complain about Mom and Dad always bossing them around and how they long to grow up and be their own boss, we remind them that they will always be under someone’s authority. They will always need to obey God and then their boss (or in our daughter’s case, her husband).

I am also trying to teach them “to be ready to do whatever is good”. When my children are at the store, I try to teach them to look around them and to be aware of how they can help others. I teach them to say excuse me when passing in front of someone, to open the door for the elderly, and to be helpful to their mother with the little ones. At home, we work on being obedient the first time they are asked to do something and to not complain about their chores or schoolwork. I am trying to teach them to anticipate someone’s need before they ask for help.

I am teaching them “to slander no one” by not allowing my children to call each other names. When they are upset with someone, they should not tell lies about them to get them in trouble. Now that some of them are older, I am teaching them to go to the person they have the problem with. To not allow things to fester and brew. To not talk bad about them. Mothers, we have to be good examples in this area! Do you slander and gossip about others in front of your children? Are you teaching them to build others up or tear them down?

We are working on “being peaceable and considerate” to each other constantly. I think this is one of the things I discipline mostly for. We are not to be angry and unkind towards each other! Are you being peaceable and considerate to your children? Here’s a biggie…Are you being peaceable and considerate towards your husband? When he walks through the door is this the atmosphere he experiences after being at work all day? Is he filled with peace? Do you consider his needs above your own? Do you let him sit down and serve him, or do you ask him to serve you? I’m preaching to myself here, because I am just as guilty!

Are you humble? Are you teaching your children to “show true humility to all men?” I can’t tell you how many times I have had to apologize to my children this week! When I make a mistake I tell God I’m sorry and then I tell my children I am sorry. They are so forgiving! They need that example so very much. I require my children to say sorry if they have sinned against someone. I also require the child who was offended to say, “I forgive you”. Even if it is not something they “feel” like doing, I believe it teaches them humility. Now, what about when you have offended your husband or maybe a brother or sister from church. Your example is everything here, mothers! When you make a mistake, apologize! Make it right! Let your children see the ministry of reconciliation.

Oh, mothers, what an awesome task the Lord has given us! Use His Word as a guidebook for your mothering. He will not fail to lead you to the right Scripture at just the right time! He did it for me this morning…

From One Mom to Another,

Stacie

1 comment:

Cat said...

Once again I know you are right in this because you heard from the LoRD in it. I wish my daughter and daughter-in-law could read your devotions. I'll have to send them your blog address. Thanks, Stacie!

Related Posts with Thumbnails