Friday, April 15, 2011

Challenges

I found this in the archives and thought I would share it again with you. I am still at the same place with this child. But I have seen lots of fruit lately. I have hope!


Dear Mothers,

I have been having a great challenge lately. One of my children is showing many signs of having a strong-will and a rebellious spirit. This son is bringing me to my knees before God. I mean EVERYDAY. There are days that I am so frightened for him that I cry out to God to protect him from the evil one.

As much as I hate to admit it, I know this is exactly where God wants me to be. Going to Him, seeking His wisdom is the only thing I can do. Oh, but how my Mother’s Heart aches.

When you are exhausted from dealing with one child all day long, your temper can flare up at the rest of the children. This spirit of dissention can spread through the entire family. If you don’t get control of it, it just gets uglier and uglier and can lead you into despair.

If I ever had pride in my parenting, it’s gone now. I realize I do not have 100% control of my child’s actions. He is going to make bad choices and upset his teachers or any person in authority over him. He is going to embarrass me when he doesn’t open his mouth with wisdom. I must accept that and realize that although I’ve taught him the right way, he does have free will. He WILL disobey.

Then I look at myself. Don’t I do the exact same thing with God? Don’t I hear His voice and choose to keep opening my mouth in foolishness? I have the free will to disobey and I unfortunately choose to do just that many times each day.

So what do I do with that? I will choose to discipline with grace. I ask God to give me a special love for this child that I can barely stand to be around sometimes. I realize that if I am an adult and still make choices that are not right, how much more will my child who is still learning to do the right thing. He has experienced limited consequences so far. No TV, time outs, early bedtimes, or not being able to go to a fun activity. He has not yet had to deal with bigger consequences like losing friends, losing a job, or even experiencing the heavy hand of conviction from the Holy Spirit. He IS but a child!

So, even though the behavior hasn’t changed much, I will continue to cry out to God for wisdom, mercy and grace. God only knows the plans that He has for this child. It must be something pretty important if Satan is already trying to derail him.

I will NOT let the enemy win! I will fight to the finish and the best stance for this kind of fight is on my knees with my head humbly bowed. This is a spiritual battle that God will win.

“Dear God, Help me see the good in my child. Help me see the strong-willed traits as something that can glorify you when my child gets them under control. Help me to love Him, forgive him and guide him in the things of you. Help me to not put my trust in the latest parenting philosophy, but put my hope in you and in your Word. Give me the strength I need each day to be the parent you would have me be. Amen!”

From One Mom to Another,

7 comments:

Cat said...

God is faithful and will honor your prayer; I KNOW He will! Praise God!!

Amy said...

My prayers are with you. Take pride in your parenting. You care enough to discipline many parents do not. I know I do not know you but I can tell your children are lucky to have you. Always remember that!!!!

Caribbean Shulamite said...

Your blog is always so inspiring even when it's your own struggles you share..God bless you. You're on your way with prayer, most definitely :)

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

You all are so sweet and encouraging. Thank you for your uplifting words and your prayers. I know that I am not alone in this journey. My goal is to try to be as honest with all of you as I can be when it comes to my own struggles. I am not a perfect Christian, wife, parent, friend or daughter, but I am always aspiring to be better then I am right now. God is the author and finisher or my faith. I won't stop learning and growing until I leave this world and see the face of Jesus. I pray that my life will glorify Him in my triumphs and my trials. That is why we are here, isn't it? To bring Glory to Him...

Tina said...

Great wisdom shared. God teaches us so much through parenting our children! Thank you for reposting this.

Margaret said...

He hears you and knows your heart. Parenting is so hard but doing it with an open and humble heart is the only way God can bless us. I love you woman and think you ROCK.....

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

Thanks, Margaret. It has been a rough couple of months, but God is getting me through it.

Related Posts with Thumbnails