Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Being Prepared Devotion

Being Prepared

I am learning that as a mother, it is good to be prepared. Sometimes life just sends you a curve ball that you are least expecting.

There are many ways we can be prepared. One way is to have several meals in the freezer. In an emergency, or if Mom gets sick it is so nice to be able to pull that wonderful home-cooked meal out of the freezer. My attitude is this; if I’m making a mess in my kitchen, I might as well make two meals instead of one. The next thing you know you’ve got a stockpile of meals in your freezer. This can be a blessing to others as well. If you know that someone could use a meal, you have it all ready for them.

Another way to be prepared is by having friends you can call to watch your kids in case there is an emergency. Ask them in advance, if you must. It will be well worth your time. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve ended up in the emergency room, while leaving my other children with a trust-worthy friend. It is such a blessing to not have to drag them all up there to wait who-knows-how-long for the injured one to get seen.

We can be prepared when our children start asking tough theological questions. I’ve heard many parents lament that they just don’t know how to teach their children the Bible when they know so little about it themselves. I have a remedy for that. Read your Bible, do Bible studies. Ask God to give you a thirst for His Word. He will do it! He has done it for me! You CAN teach your children the Bible. If they ask a question that you just don’t know, then call your pastor or a mature Believer. Be prepared!

When your children are about ready to enter into a new stage of life (teen years, or leaving the nest), read up on that stage. Talk to other parents who are going through it or have been through it. Don’t just wing it! Above all, PRAY for your children!

One last thing God is teaching me about preparation is to take the Sabbath (or day of rest) more seriously. I work hard all week long, and I am finding that God truly wants to refresh my soul. But how can I stop working on my day of “so-called” rest? I still have to cook and clean up. The whole key to a day of rest is PREPARATION. On Saturday, have the laundry completely caught up. Have the dishes done and the sink scrubbed out on Saturday night. Make simple sandwiches for lunch after church. Pull out one of those meals out of the freezer for Sunday’s dinner.

Having a hard time getting to church on time with your little ones? I have the answer! Drum roll please…. Have all their clothes, socks and shoes laid out the night before. This way you are not tracking down that missing shoe at the last minute. Make sure they are bathed on Saturday night. Another easy solution is to have a simple breakfast ready (I do not do cereal except on Sundays) and to make sure that everyone gets up before 7:00 a.m. If you follow these guidelines you will have no problem getting to church on time. I would never survive Sunday mornings if I didn’t do this. Remember the key is to be prepared!

We may not be able to control the circumstances in our life, but we can certainly be prepared like the Proverbs 31 Woman. I believe God honors and blesses you when you seek His heart during your preparation. Ask Him what things you need to be doing and especially things you don’t need to be doing. Sometimes we take on more then He asks us too.

From One Mom to Another,
Stacie

1 comment:

Cat said...

Stacie, I was a Brownie Scout, and our motto was, "Be prepared". Isn't that good? Also, Beth Moore reminded us in Boise that taking a day of rest is a commandment. We wouldn't consider taking someone's life by murder, we wouldn't consider having any other gods, but we DO consider not taking our day of rest. Our priorities are mixed up sometimes. Thank you for the reminders.

Related Posts with Thumbnails