Friday, November 7, 2008

Obedience/Sacrifice

OK, I confess, I blew it today. I mean I BLEW it! Like a gasket! During this mornings trials with trying to get the kids to do their chores and to obey me, I figured something out. So praise God, something good came from it.

Here's a little of what happened. I wanted the kids to do their chores and they kept fooling around. I talked with them about diligence and doing "unto the Lord". I got on the phone with Margaret. She asked me about how my morning was going (poor girl) and I dumped. The kids must have picked up on my frustration with them and tried to make it up to me again like they did the other day. They set my Bible out, my devotion book, two chocolates, a bowl of yogurt, a love note and a glass of apple juice. It was very sweet and I tried to be thankful. They put on a "show" for me to cheer me up. When I saw they hadn't finished their chores still, I sat them down and talked with the older boys. I explained that God says "obedience is better then sacrifice". I told them that the Israelites kept wanting to disobey, but they kept making their sacrifices to him. God told them that He would rather have their obedience. I told them that is what I wanted too! I want them to obey, not just give me their "offerings".

I hope that this concept permeates their little brains! I want them to have that attitude with the Lord and it was a perfect time to bring it up and teach them about what God's Word says on the subject.

So I looked up the verse, here it is, "Does the Lord delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices as much as in obeying the voice of the Lord? To obey is better than sacrifice, and to heed is better than the fat of rams." -1 Samuel 15:22

So that was my little lesson today. I'm doing a lot better now after having a really good cry and of course prayer time. Thank you Jackie, Margaret and Catherine for listening. I really needed you and you were there! I love you!

1 comment:

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

That is such an important lesson for us all to learn. Thanks for being vulnerable and admitting that you blew it. We all have those moments and it is nice to know we aren't alone. Glad I could be there for you.

Related Posts with Thumbnails