Thursday, October 16, 2008

Suburban Blues

I kept smelling burning oil in the Sub. The oil pressure looked like it was going down as well. I had Steve take a look at it and he showed me that the radiator fluid looked like chocolate milk. There is oil in the radiator. Not good. So we ran it down to the car shop today. This is really bad timing. Steve is going out of town this weekend. I kind of need the Suburban to get all the kids to all their different activities. I'm going to have to get real creative. I might utilize a grandparent or two. Also, Jackie will be up, so we'll have her car available.

I'm trying not to worry. I've prayed for the finances to come through to fix it. Things are really tight right now. Steve has gotten very little overtime the past few pay checks. It's a good thing though, because it makes us live within our "actual" means. I mean straight pay. We tend to rely on the overtime too much. We have made some major adjustments in our lives. We haven't ate out in a month or more, we are changing our grocery shopping habits and our eating habits. More oatmeal, Cream of Wheat and soups. I'm making all of our snacks, bread and so forth.

The worst that can happen is that we go down to one car. It can be done. We don't all go as a family to many places all at once. The older boys can be by themselves quite a bit now and that leaves me with three kids, which is what the car can hold. I wish it didn't have that darn air bag, or I could put five kids in that car. The front seat turns into a bench.

I need to go check on my homemade cinnamon rolls. Yummy! I'm also making a special treat for dinner. Steve hates sweet meat so I decided to make it while he was at work. I'm going to bread some pork chops, fry them up and then pour some apricot/pinneaple marmalade mixed with balsamic vinager on top and let simmer. For a side I'm going to make wild rice in the oven. I'm going to pour chicken broth over it. I've added celery, parsely, and minced onion as well. Doesn't that sound yummy! I hope it is, I totally made both of these recipes up! So we'll see. I have everything prepped and ready to go, so it should be a relaxing afternoon.

3 comments:

Naomi said...

Yum can I have the recipe for the cinnamon rolls they sound GOOD.

Caribbean Shulamite said...

See how much there still is to be thankful for ;)

Cat said...

I'm so sorry about your Suburban! God knows what you, and you know that. Isn't that a comfort? I recall when we lived 25 miles out of town and had one car which my DH took to work. When I went to town once a week I took him to work and spent the whole day there shopping, going to the library, visiting friends and going to the park for lunch. What an ordeal it was!
On another note, your dinner sounds way too good; wish I were there to enjoy it with you. Lovella is having me out for salad rolls and cinnamon rolls, so I guess that will be a fine substitue!

Related Posts with Thumbnails