Sunday, August 10, 2008

Taming the Tongue

This taming the tongue business is hard. But it works! I can attest that the conflict in my marriage has probably decreased by 75%. Steve and I just aren't fighting anymore. Yes, we have misunderstandings, but when you aren't verbally battling each other you get to the bottom of it quicker and you let unimportant things go.

I knew God would change my life with the 30 Day Challenge. Not only am I not speaking negative words about my husband, but I am not speaking negative words to my husband. It is life-changing! It is habit-forming. I do not ever want to go back to what it was like before.

The hardest part is my pregnancy hormones. Normally, this is the time where I can't let anything go and everything thing that Steve does drives me insane. Last time I was pregnant, my sister went on vacation with us. I don't know how she put up with us. We fought for 5 days solid! I couldn't let anything go and Steve felt like he was under attack as I questioned everything he did instead of let him be the leader. My tone of voice was impatient and disrespectful. This pregnancy, the Holy Spirit is helping me filter some of the things that bother me and help me to let it go.

So, praise the Lord! I pray that He continues to help me and that I will continue to master the "tongue thing".

I had a talk about it with Marcus this morning. I explained the "taking each thought captive" response to him. He really seemed to get it.

Also, things were getting tense yesterday with the kids. Lots of mouthiness and arguing. Instead of getting mad, I took each boy aside and prayed with them. I asked them how I could pray for them and they responded well. We had a way better day after that. I need to do that more often.

I'm finding that I am really impatient with Andrew. Andrew is learning the "power of his tongue" and is starting to wield it in amazingly disrespectful ways. I've never had a kid say that he didn't like me or that I was mean. He has no problem telling me those things. He gets popped in the mouth a lot and sent to his room. I keep praying that God would give me wisdom with Andrew. He has an extremely strong will. I know God will use that for His Kingdom someday, but in the meantime I will continue to temper it when it's disrespectful.

I need to finish getting ready for church.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails