Monday, August 25, 2008

Going With the Flow

Well, today was supposed to be our BIG packing day for our Astoria trip. The phone rang and I knew in my heart that it was an overtime shift. I told myself that I needed to be supportive and tell Steve he could take it. He always asks me. So I told him it was fine and you could tell how excited he was. It is nice to have that 24 hours of overtime before you go on vacation. I know he will rest easy knowing he has it in the "bank".

So the only thing I could really do was pack the clothes and sleeping bags. The rest will have to wait.

Such is the life of a firefighter's wife...you have to go with the flow and be VERY flexible.

Dad called and asked if Josh could come out and ride Dundee (his big gentle horse). I said of course! We really want to keep him going so that he will continue to progress. He called me so excited and said that he had ran 3 times! Wow! He must really be getting his confidence built up. When we were at the beach with the horses I practically had to force him to ride behind me around the campground once and he was clinging to me for dear life! This is hard for me because I was riding big horses around age 3. I just can't figure out why he is so scared. I really want him to have some of the same experiences that I had growing up. I spent my entire childhood on the back of a horse, rounding up cows and barrel racing and such. It was so much fun!

Hey, while I was writing this, Andrew just pooped in the toilet! That is the first time in 3 days! We were regressing a little. Papa bribed him with a ride on the tractor while he's cutting hay. He was so excited, I think it has motivated him again. I just overheard him say, "I'm big,Marcus!" How cute is that?

They kids and I made an Carmel apple chex mix. It was really good, but really sweet. I made some caramel corn with the extra popcorn. Yum!

No soccer practice tonight so we are watching "Two Towers" right now. It's long, but good.

I'm going to start a book called "Passion and Purity" by Elizabeth Elliot. I've always wanted to read one of her books. I've heard her branded a radical, but I like to judge things for myself. I'll let you know how I like it.

2 comments:

Cat said...

I've read Passion and Purity, and I think you will like it. What moves you to choose a book? What process do you use to make the choice? And do you have in mind the one after E.E.'s book? The reason I ask is that I appreciate knowing what you (and others I trust) are reading, what your experience is as you read and how you are transformed by the book, if you are. I have just begun Beth Moore's Bible study called A Woman's Heart (without the dvd to go with it, sadly) AND a book by Carolyn Custis James called Lost Women of the Bible. I really enjoyed her writing of the book about Ruth, so i'm looking forward to this one too. And I'm always on the lookout for something my Thursday group can do when we finish A Woman's Call to Prayer for the 2nd time. Today I'm setting up my schedule for school, for OT study which I've wanted to do for a long time and these other studies. I want to write my testimony for you today too.

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

It's kind of funny. The church called and said they had a bunch of books they would like to donate to Kenya. There were several that I had been wanting to read, so I pulled them out and will send them when I'm done.

I skimmed through Passion and Purity. It was really meant for singles, but their courtship fascinated me. I couldn't believe how pure they kept themselves for so long. I really admire that.

You would love the "To Live is Christ" by Beth Moore. It really goes into the historical facts of Paul. Very fascinating.

I loved the one on Ruth you gave me. Let me know if the others are any good. I would read them.

I'm not moving on to "Tortured For Christ" by the founder of Voice of the Martyrs. Very sad, but good. Such a good reminder of what God is doing in and through the Underground churches.

Related Posts with Thumbnails