Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Feeling Overwhelmed? You Don't Have to Do it ALL!

I got this from "Revive Our Hearts". This is from a mother named Holly, who has eight children...

"I was talking with a young wife the other day on the phone and she said, “My husband is so frustrated because I have a new baby and I can’t get everything done.”

I said, “I want you to ask him what are the two things that he really wants done, and then you make a commitment to get those two things done.”

She came back the next day and she said, “Okay, he wants food and he wants to be able to see the countertops in the kitchen. That really bugs him when the kitchen is dirty.”

I said, “Okay, you focus on those two things. If you can get more done, that’s great.” If you are a student of your husband enough that you know what his hot buttons are, then you can meet those needs.

My husband could care less if we eat peanut butter and jelly for dinner. If when he comes home he can sit down in his recliner and my children look mostly normal—they’re clothed. I did call home yesterday at one point and found out that my three youngest had a mattress in the front yard of my neighbor and were sliding down the mattress into the street.

So just because I have been doing this for many years does not mean it always happens perfectly. But you know, my life is real. What I have found in the midst of my very real life is that God truly is who He says He is and that He really is sufficient."-Nancy Leigh DeMoss website "Revive Our Hearts Ministries"

This is something I did a long time ago with Steve when I was feeling overwhelmed and he asked for the exact same thing. Food and clean counters! OK, I can do that!

10 comments:

Mary R. said...

Great advice...

melaniek said...

Fantastic post! Just what I needed to hear today. Definitely gonna have to do that. Hope your foot is feeling better and healing quickly!!

Kimberly said...

And for homeschool families, no children doing school at the "kitchen" table, where the meal needs to land!!! My Hubby gets twitchy when he comes in and I don't have the meal going- Last night it was sort of funny, I had made the casserole early so that the children that needed to go off to worship practice {during the supper hour no less}... I was playing the wii~ He didn't say anything but I know he was wondering what was up!!!! Then when he discovered that this delicious casserole had already been made, he was sort ot taken a back ;)

Ellen said...

I always tend to make a very large list of "to-do's"...it is way more than any Mom could accomplish in 24 hours time..I need to be much more realistic and enlist the children's help. This is the bump I needed!

Toni Floyd said...

Stacie, I had to chuckle a little over this one because I am pretty sure what the "two things" my husband would want done would be and neither of them would have to do with food! Laughing!
It was good to see you at church yesterday!
Toni

Jenn said...

Yep, those would be tops in my husbands book, right along with clean underwear! :)

Camille said...

Oh that mattress story brought a smile to my face!! What creative kids!! LOL!

Words of wisdom Stacie...thank you for sharing! :)

With Love,
Camille

Mich said...

One step at a time. One task at a time.

Thanks for the reminder.

Catherine said...

I'm not at this stage in life anymore, but I DO know the importance of having a dessert cooling on the counter when he comes in!

His bondservant said...

Great post Stacie...and full of wisdom. Sometimes we think as wives we know what our husbands want...but we really don't. I was putting too much pressure on myself in that area...my husband doesn't care what we eat for dinner...or if there is too much mess (although that totally drives me crazy!) He just wants some quiet time to talk with me about his day. I don't think I could ask for much better than that! But, I never would have known if I had not asked him. Great reminder!

Related Posts with Thumbnails