Monday, January 10, 2011

Let My Words Be Few

Dear Mothers,

The Spirit of God has been convicting me of something. Apparently, I’ve been using too many words. The Bible says that if you use many words you WILL sin. I speak all the time. How many times do I open my mouth to accuse a child of something without finding out the whole story because I just interrupted them? How many times have I interrupted my husband, jumping to conclusions because I think I already know what he is about to say?

This is a really bad habit. We speak without truly listening. The Bible says we are to be quick to listen and slow to speak. If we apply that principle to our husband and children, we would take half the conflict out of our lives and peace would reign in our homes.

I am quick to rationalize my sin and think, “I would not be sarcastic if my husband wasn’t”. What is that? Since when am I not responsible for my own behavior and my own reactions to an unkind comment? The truth is, I can only change me. I can’t change that other person.

We have a child that has picked up on the sarcasm that my husband and I have used over the years. He is actually quite good at it now, thanks to us. We are reaping what we have sown. It is time to change. And it starts with me.

Right now, half the battle is being aware of my speech. I have to ask God throughout the day to convict me and show me when I am sinning with my tongue. I am truly learning that if I speak less, I sin less. It’s so simple, but it is so hard!

I am allowing God to purify my heart, sift me like wheat and make me more like Him. Again, this is not easy! The tongue is the hardest thing to control on the body. Praise the Lord! When I am walking in the Spirit, completely relying on Him, I am victorious! When I slip away from under His covering I will surely fall flat on my face. I MUST abide in Him!

Please take a moment right now to pray and ask God if you are quick to listen and slow to speak. Ask Him if this might be a problem in your life that can be taken care of by His power. He will be faithful to show you. What is the end result? To be more like Christ. Is it worth it? You bet it is!

Listen to your children today. Try speaking life-giving words, kind words, words that bless, not curse. If you practice on them throughout the day you will be even more apt to speak kind and loving words to your weary husband when he walks through the door after a long day of work. Remember, you reap what you sow! He might even start speaking sweetly to you…

From One Mom to Another,

19 comments:

Naomi said...

So true Stacie. Something I definitely need to grow in. Thanks for this godly reminder.

Kimberly said...

Nothing convicts me more than to over hear my children sounding like Hubby and I- very profound post!

Stacie,
You need an at home date! Set the children {even Lily!} up with quiet games and/or a movies {popcorn}, in a part of the house, away from you and Steve, put the oldest in charge and they need to pretend like you are not there. Then have your date in your house! Dinner, movies... Trust me your children will love it. They'll love it, it builds strength in their relationships with each other - you'll love it and come out refreshed.

LizyBeth said...

My oldest son started copying mine and Hero's speech when he was only 3! It was a huge wake up call. I've been very aware lately of how I talk to my husband especially, knowing that my daughter is watching and learning. Thank you for the reminder and for letting me know I'm not alone in this area. Praying for you!

Ellen said...

I have done this far to many times...made excuse for my sarcasm or impatience because of this or that. There is never a reason and it sure is a lesson to those watching and they are indeed watching us.(how many times have I heard my tone repeated by my children?)

Mich said...

Thanks for the reminder.

Camille said...

What a sweet, kind, thoughtful post Stacie! You really are precious...do you know that??

How are you doing these days?? Is Jackie still with you?? Keep on looking to the LORD...HE is faithful and will give you all you need!

Many blessings,
Camille

Jill said...

Great post Stacie. Don't be too hard on ourselves, as parents we learn things every day, and none of us are perfect, just doing our best. :-) Have a great week.
Blessings,
Jill

RaD said...

I hear you on this one. My son talks just like me! Oy, not good sometimes. Although, it has taught me many things one of them being that teaching him how to be respectful by respecting him goes a long way with how fast a situation can be diffused.

candy said...

Amen! Good one Stace.and again you have blessed me. My dear husband is so gentle with me and my illness. and his wife has at times very little patience for him and his illness.I shouldn't say our illnesses' we in NO way claim them as ours.Anyway you understand.thank you for another blessing.love you

Catherine said...

Well, back to banging nails, Stacie; you continue to hit them on the head! My new statement to myself is, "I am a quiet woman." Let's see if it works.

christy rose said...

Quick to listen and slow to speak!!! Lord, please help us all!!! :)
Great devotional Stacie!

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

Such a great reminder, Stace! Glad you pulled this one out of the archives. You should post it once a year! I could sure use the reminder :)

Nicole said...

I have found this to be so true as of late, my words being watched or thrown back at me. So in light of your sharing this struggle I thank you and will continue to choose them wisely and use less of them if needed. Thanks, blessings to you.

outdoor.mom said...

good reminder:-) i always get into trouble when i aimlessly ramble!!

His bondservant said...

Stacie,

Great post my friend! Thank you for the reminder. Our words are so powerful...for good or evil.

I hope you are doing better. I have thought of you often. Praying you recover completely soon.

In Him,
Jackie

Jenn said...

This is so true of me also! I was nodding right along with every word you wrote. I know I need to speak less, be less critical and less sarcastic. Boy it is hard to control this ole tongue of mine. Thanks for a wonderful post!

The Angulo's said...

Great post Stacy!

Rebecca said...

God began working in my heart about TOO MANY WORDS this summer. I'm so glad He sent a refresher course through you! Thanks :-)
Visiting from "Raising Homemakers"

Mrs. Stam said...

Lovely post!

Related Posts with Thumbnails