Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Grace Mothering


Dear Mothers,

I have to tell you how thankful I am that my mothering is covered by the Blood of Jesus. So many days, I have the best intentions to be a kind, patient, Holy-Spirit-filled mother, but fall flat on my face in the first ½ hour of the day! Some days, I even get a little prideful and think to myself, “I’m doing pretty good!” Watch out! That’s when the enemy is going to move in for the kill!

The Bible says that the enemy is a “prowling lion, roaming about the earth, seeking whom he may devour”. Remember this! He is seeking to devour you, your children, and your home! He doesn’t want you to succeed. He doesn’t want you to raise godly offspring. He will do whatever it takes to get you to lose sight of God’s Vision for your family. He will keep you busy; he will distract you (sometimes with good and godly things). If he can destroy just one home, think of the effects of that. If he can destroy one marriage, one relationship with a child, or keep your home in constant chaos, he is winning!

“How can I stop him?” you cry! Pray!!!!!! Pray for your marriage, pray for your children, pray for peace in the home. Pray for wisdom of how to make your home a godlier, peaceful place to be. He will grant it! He promises us that He will! Pray the Blood of Jesus over your home. Pray that when people sin against each other within these walls, that true confession and repentance will take place. Be a godly example to them. When you blow it, confess to them, then pray and confess to God and ask for forgiveness. Be reconciled to each other and to God. God’s Grace is infinite, it’s huge! He gives us a clean slate every time we come to Him.

Yelling is one of the main problems in our house. If we are upset, we yell at each other. We have been praying about this and asking God for wisdom to overcome this problem. God has given us a creative solution. I made a sign that is red and in bold letters, it says “STOP yelling!” If someone is out of control and yelling, anyone can go get the sign and hold it up. The person doing the yelling HAS to stop yelling. He or She will take a small “time-out” until they are calm enough to talk in a normal voice. This has made for a more peaceful atmosphere within our home.

Sometimes, moms need “time-outs”, too! If things are just getting out of control, I will send everyone to their rooms for a 20 minute break. Also, if one child just can’t stop offending or picking on another child, they lose the privilege of being with the family for an extended period of time (I usually make them go to their rooms for a half-hour). This helps keeps peace within the home too. Sometimes, you just have kids that are grumpy and in foul moods. Well, they can be grumpy in their rooms!

God’s mercies are new every morning. The sun rises again and I remember that I don’t have to act the way I did yesterday. I can ask Him instead to give me grace in my mothering and allow Him to change my heart, mind, and soul. This will in turn, change my mothering. Halleluiah!

From One Mom to Another,

Stacie

15 comments:

Arrington Family News said...

This is SO true - it is only by the grace of God that we can do this important job we call "parenting". I am blessed that in my life the Lord has not only given me his Word but He has blessed me with Godly mentors that help and encourage as I go along the path.

Arrington Family News said...

I liked this so much I posted it on my blog as well. I have lots of Moms that I know would be encouraged by this. Hope you don't mind.

Trisha said...

Wise and encouraging words, Stacie! Feeling the weight of "self" much these days, and it should move me to pray much more fervently than I do! Oh, how amazing is that grace that saved a wretch like me.

Mrs. A said...

Beautiful post Stacie! This was a very encouraging and insightful and helpful post!!

God bless you!

Thank you for visiting my blog.

Cedars of Lebanon Farm said...

Normally I try to have the girls work out their issues among themselves. But recently we have created the "You're no fun to be with" rule. If someone is being particularly grumpy or unkind, Mom can step in and determine that someone is "no fun to be with" and they are told to leave the vicinity until they can be "fun to be with" again.

David and Margaret said...

Great reminder that we can't do it alone. I have been really distracted lately and need a new direction. Thanks love. Hope to see you today.

...they call me mommy... said...

GREAT post, Stacie!! I needed these reminders! I think I might make myself one of those stop signs too!


PS - You have great willpower to wrap your gift and WAIT! That is a GREAT idea though! Even if I buy my gift, then the kids would have fun seeing me open it! :)

Farmgirl Cyn said...

This is SO good! Yes. Prayer is our weapon of choice. And indeed, we have an enemy whose sole purpose is to kill, steal, and destroy. He does not need to mess with the unbeliever...he already owns them. His target is the believer. And especially families. We press on...daily, hourly, minute by minute.

Amy said...

I am working on not yelling too.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Homeschooling is going well. I spend three hours last night reading a few books and am more comfortable with the whole thing. I have learned that Bri is a visual/tactile learner. She is also gifted. So I am going to have to use my "creative side". But it will be fun. We are going to learn Latin. I am going to be using a more classic approach.

We are going to our first homeschool group today. I am glad. I am a bit worried about her not having friends. But friends don't have to be other six year olds.

Have a wonderful day.

Catherine said...

Good plan, Stacie. We can always use a new tool to encourage better behavior.

Ellen said...

I love the idea of using a sign Stacie....I agree...sometimes Mommies do need time outs. :)

candy said...

Life is so much more calmer without yelling. I was a yelling mom,now that i am Gee-Ma I have learned that yelling causes anger and other negative issues.I am thankful that you recognize the bad in yelling. Keep up the good work...you are a wonderful Mother of God!love you.

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

I need to make a sign!

Muthering Heights said...

Oh my...I can SO relate to this!

Amy said...

We named our homeschool today. Pop by my blog to see what we named it.

God Bless!

Related Posts with Thumbnails